Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Probably a stupid question about breast feeding

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 60 Replies
I'm 19 (20 tomorrow) weeks pregnant and I've been on the maybe maybe not breast feed debate for a while

But as time is flying I'm thinking of not only the health benefits for my first child but benefits for me...number 1 is no heatin up the bottle at 3 am just bam tit hallelujah done sleep!

But I've been readin all the things about people breast feeding in public and how frowned upon it is so I'm just thinking well hey when ik I'm goin to let's say grocery shop or go to family's house or something ill just pump some put it in a idk (bottle? Container?) warm it up (right?) and no fuss right?

I guess I could wait till October cause I'm goin to a class at my hospital bout breast feeding and some other classes but I'd just like to know now cause curiosity annoys me lol

Iowa law: 135.30A Breastfeeding in Public Places
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a woman may breast-feed the woman’s own child in any public place where the woman’s presence is otherwise authorized.

- See more at: http://breastfeedinglaws.uslegal.com/state-laws/iowa-breast-feeding-laws/#sthash.DW2MXVjg.dpuf
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM
2 moms liked this

What are you actually asking?

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:30 PM
3 moms liked this
If you feel shy use a blanket when bf in public. i know i wouldn't care if ur boob showed tho, i have 2 and bf my ds til he was 22.5 mos and bf in public if he was hungry. Most people would probably have never even known i did. U wear loose shirts, unhook the bra, pull it down w the shirt still over and lift shirt while putting baby to breast and voila you nurse ur baby w no one the wiser.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
4 moms liked this
There are zero negatives to breastfeeding and about a million to formula feeding. Big tip though...ANYTIME you are present, feed baby from the breast! No bottles when mama is around. Otherwise you have to pump while baby is drinking the bottle, because it's all about supply and demand. Join the breastfeeding moms group and post this there. Great group of ladies and tons of support and advice.
CaliBeachMum
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I think you know breast is best, but are afraid of any social backlash, right?
MissMossyOak90
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM
No I'm wondering how I would do it in public like how to have breast milk just in a bottle? How to store it then warm it up...

Quoting CaliBeachMum:

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM
This.

Quoting stepconfused182:

There are zero negatives to breastfeeding and about a million to formula feeding. Big tip though...ANYTIME you are present, feed baby from the breast! No bottles when mama is around. Otherwise you have to pump while baby is drinking the bottle, because it's all about supply and demand. Join the breastfeeding moms group and post this there. Great group of ladies and tons of support and advice.

CaliBeachMum
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM
4 moms liked this
Oh ok, dude. Just breast feed in public. It's not a big deal. The baby's giant head will cover most of the action. Have a cloth diaper, or a fancy nursing cover, to shield prying eyes. If YOU want to. I think all states protect a women's right to bf in public.
You got this! You already have a tiny mama bear in you, when your wee one is born, you will be fierce in your advocation of your baby's rights.
Go buy a nursing tank and practice.

Quoting MissMossyOak90:

No I'm wondering how I would do it in public like how to have breast milk just in a bottle? How to store it then warm it up...

Quoting CaliBeachMum:

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I breastfed my daughter for a year,many times in public and NEVER heard a single bad thing directed at me for it.My daughter refused any type of bottle we put breastmilk in and it would have been more trouble for me to keep trying and I didn't care enough so I nursed in public.I would do it descreetly but never went out of my way to hide it.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I agree with the others.  Just nurse the baby and you can cover with a blanket if need be.  At peoples houses, i would excuse myself to another room just for privacy.  I am fairly modest.   Alot of stores have family room areas you can take the baby to nurse or a rowdy toddler to calm down.

CaliBeachMum
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM
A lot of moms work, so bm in bottles is a necessity. You can piggyback both. Bf and then pump for use when you are out. I have heard of nipple confusion, but that should resolve itself in time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN