Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Depression during pregnancy

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 16 Replies
Is it normal to be depressed during pregnancy? I don't remember feeling this way when I was pregnant with my son. I am pregnant with a girl and due in November. Since the beginning of the pregnancy I have felt sad and worthless. I feel like my family would be better off without me. I know I wouldn't harm myself but that feeling is still there..like they would be better off with me gone. I don't feel depressed all day but at least a few times a week. My son is going through the terrible 3's. Having tantrums saying things like "I don't like you." I feel like no matter what I do I am not good enough. I constantly feel like a horrible mom because my patience these days is lacking and by the end of the day when he throws a tantrum I yell and then I feel awful. This pregnancy was planned we are financially stable for the most part. Is this normal to be sad so much or is it something I need to discuss with my midwife? I feel ashamed of my feelings and don't want to bring it up to her but I worry about postpartum depression. Can I even take anything for depression while pregnant? I feel so ashamed that I feel this way.
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nurse-mommy
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Don't feel ashamed! Depression can start during pregnancy.and it's normal!.however, DO talk to your midwife. There are a.couple meds you can take during pregnancy for depression, if needed. It's very normal with the 2nd child to feel this way, you're tired, hormonal,and have a, 3 year old who is, testing limits. You're aware if how you feel which is good and if you are depressed during.pregnancy, you're at an increased risk for Post.partum depression.
Take a deep breath, you're NOT alone, and be sure.to discuss
it at your next appointment.
Good luck to you!
MikeysMom22
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I would certainly talk to the midwife about it!!! They are supposed to help you thru the pregnancy and birth right? If they won't find someone else that can actually help you.

Jmose0
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Say something to your doctor... I felt like a psycho while I was pregnant. I was constantly upset by my boyfriend and felt an overwhelming amount of anxiety, to the point that it was crippling my life. I was just scared and upset all the time, and I didn't have a logical reason to feel that way, but I couldn't help it. I ended up with preeclampsia and had to be induced... The labor and delivery story from hell ensues lol. I don't know your situation, but hang in there. If it offers you any hope, the second my son was delivered, I felt the biggest relief and my emotions went back to normal. No post partum depression or anything like that, and I swear I couldn't have been more miserable during my pregnancy. Considering how lucky I was to have a healthy baby, I don't know why I felt that way. I'm just glad that when the pregnancy was over, I was able to enjoy being a new mom and the anxiety and depression was completely gone.

ckapps4911
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM

when i was pregnant with my son i was depressed....i didnt know it back then but after he was born i got hit with ppd HARD. it sucks and yes there are meds out there safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding if you choose to do so. but trust me when i say DO NOT feel ashamed of how you feel. its not that you are having the thoughts and feelings because you truely feel them...its those pesky hormones running rampant making normal "blah" or irritated days soooo much worse. and YES do talk to your dr! this way once you deliver you both can be on watch for ppd. either 2 things can happen...u give birth, ur horomes plummet, and you go back to normal or...u give birth, hormones plummet, and the depression gets worse and turns into ppd. in a case like this play it safe so if the latter does happen you can have a plan in place already to manage it.

my depression was so bad i barely even held my son for the first 3 months of his life. he was taken away 6 hours after he was born and transferred to a nicu an hour away and i just sat there. i didnt cry. i felt nothing. i thought it was just shock at the time but it was because i was depressed thru the pregnancy and for me it only got worse. i hope that doesnt happen to you. i really do hope that u feel better as soon as possible but ppd is different for everyone (what you described sounds a lot like some of my symptoms just so u know) its a terrible, horrible disease. i wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. please talk to your dr about it. shes dealt with it before with many other women just like you!! she will know what to do, know the warning signs...and this way after delivery you will have an even larger support system to help you if it does get worse. i was terrified to talk to my dr about it too and i was suprised by how relaxed my dr was about it...he just took it in stride like we were talking about the weather lol. after that first conversation it gets easier to talk about at other appointments. if you need anyone to talk to feel free to pm me. im still in recovery and still have my bad days but im no longer scared to talk about it, scared people will think less of me. i know its something i couldnt help or prevent. but it is something i can fight. and now my son is 3 days from being 9 months old and hes my best friend! hes a total mamas boy and i love it!!!

btw i did not say any of this to scare you...just so u know what could happen and why i beleive you should talk to your dr. i shared my experience so u know what one of the worst case scenerios are...keeping it bottled up and trying to ignore it doesnt make it go away. good luck!!!

mamatobe1989
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

It's perfectly normal to feel this way during pregnancy and you should def. let your doc know. Often times dep. during pregnancy can lead to severe post partum and you'll want to be prepared for that. Your doc may even suggest sending you to a pshyc doc which can really help out. Keep doing your best and don't be afraid to let your feelings be known! Your midwife is there to support you!!!

momwriter
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Yes please discuss with your midwife. She may need to refer to a dr to get meds. I needed them during my pregancies; I have a history of depression and had post-partum with my 3rd.

Quoting nurse-mommy:

Don't feel ashamed! Depression can start during pregnancy.and it's normal!.however, DO talk to your midwife. There are a.couple meds you can take during pregnancy for depression, if needed. It's very normal with the 2nd child to feel this way, you're tired, hormonal,and have a, 3 year old who is, testing limits. You're aware if how you feel which is good and if you are depressed during.pregnancy, you're at an increased risk for Post.partum depression.
Good luck to you!

dutchcanadain
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

we all go throu this but you have lot stress in the home need to see your doctor talk to him or her how you feeling ,okay to take nigh or day away from the kids just so you can regroup ,hope this help and good luck 

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. I have heard a lot about ppd but never really heard about women being depressed during pregnancy. If someone told me they sought help for depression I would be proud of them so I don't know why I feel so ashamed when It comes to myself. Congrats on your son and I'm glad he was okay! I have an appt tuesday so I am going to try to get the courage to talk to my midwife. Whats the worst she will do..tell me i am crazy and all in my head? lol

Quoting ckapps4911:

when i was pregnant with my son i was depressed....i didnt know it back then but after he was born i got hit with ppd HARD. it sucks and yes there are meds out there safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding if you choose to do so. but trust me when i say DO NOT feel ashamed of how you feel. its not that you are having the thoughts and feelings because you truely feel them...its those pesky hormones running rampant making normal "blah" or irritated days soooo much worse. and YES do talk to your dr! this way once you deliver you both can be on watch for ppd. either 2 things can happen...u give birth, ur horomes plummet, and you go back to normal or...u give birth, hormones plummet, and the depression gets worse and turns into ppd. in a case like this play it safe so if the latter does happen you can have a plan in place already to manage it.

my depression was so bad i barely even held my son for the first 3 months of his life. he was taken away 6 hours after he was born and transferred to a nicu an hour away and i just sat there. i didnt cry. i felt nothing. i thought it was just shock at the time but it was because i was depressed thru the pregnancy and for me it only got worse. i hope that doesnt happen to you. i really do hope that u feel better as soon as possible but ppd is different for everyone (what you described sounds a lot like some of my symptoms just so u know) its a terrible, horrible disease. i wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. please talk to your dr about it. shes dealt with it before with many other women just like you!! she will know what to do, know the warning signs...and this way after delivery you will have an even larger support system to help you if it does get worse. i was terrified to talk to my dr about it too and i was suprised by how relaxed my dr was about it...he just took it in stride like we were talking about the weather lol. after that first conversation it gets easier to talk about at other appointments. if you need anyone to talk to feel free to pm me. im still in recovery and still have my bad days but im no longer scared to talk about it, scared people will think less of me. i know its something i couldnt help or prevent. but it is something i can fight. and now my son is 3 days from being 9 months old and hes my best friend! hes a total mamas boy and i love it!!!

btw i did not say any of this to scare you...just so u know what could happen and why i beleive you should talk to your dr. i shared my experience so u know what one of the worst case scenerios are...keeping it bottled up and trying to ignore it doesnt make it go away. good luck!!!

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM

What did you take during your pregnancies? Did your babies have any withdrawal symptoms after they were born? I was reading up on what they can do for you and the information is very mixed. I have dealt with depression before and was on anxiety meds for panic attacks for a short time when I was 16. I didn't like the way they made me feel (they made the sucidial thoughts worse and made me feel very sick) so i went off from them and have dealt with it on my own. I can't seem to get on top of my emotions and thoughts to deal with it now though.

Quoting momwriter:

Yes please discuss with your midwife. She may need to refer to a dr to get meds. I needed them during my pregancies; I have a history of depression and had post-partum with my 3rd.

Quoting nurse-mommy:

Good luck to you!

ckapps4911
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:44 AM

it was harder for me i had my WHOLE family telling me that i was crazy and i just needed to "suck it up and get over it" but i knew something was wrong so i did "suck it up" so to speak but it was to ask for help.

what didnt help was the dr i started my treatment with was horribly miseducated on ppd. my dad called him with out me knowing at the time and talked to him and asked how long id be "in my funk" as he called it....and the dr said 3 months max! thats the baby blues that lasts a few weeks to 3 months. ppd can last for YEARS...i argued with my dad about it until i got him to look it up and read up about it on the internet and it finally dawned on him that there is something wrong with me! that was the worst part of it.

i had a mental breakdown a few months ago and ever since then ive been great!!! i had to let myself hit rock bottom before i could put myself back together. so in my experience if u feel down dont fight it, it only makes it worse.

good luck hun! i hope you can talk to your midwife about it. also i can guarentee that she wont call you crazy and its not all in your head!!!

thought id share but this is the lil boy that pulled me thru and has me winning my battle and its so worth it!!

this is what get me out of bed every morning and brightens even my worst days with his big sloppy kisses lol. his name is Zander :) this is what makes it worth while no matter how bad it gets!!

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Thank you for sharing your story. I have heard a lot about ppd but never really heard about women being depressed during pregnancy. If someone told me they sought help for depression I would be proud of them so I don't know why I feel so ashamed when It comes to myself. Congrats on your son and I'm glad he was okay! I have an appt tuesday so I am going to try to get the courage to talk to my midwife. Whats the worst she will do..tell me i am crazy and all in my head? lol

Quoting ckapps4911:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN