Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How much should you share at work?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 46 Replies

When I go to work, I am cordial with my co-workers, visitors, supervisors, etc. When asked, I share basic information such as where I am from, if I have any kids and if I am married or not. I was told by someone that I am too secretive and it is hard to get to know me. What?!?! Ok. I thought that when you went to work, you are there to work, not be someone's bff.

Has the workplace culture changed because I didn't get the memo? Any thoughts?

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katie314
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to be very closed off at work, kept my personal life seperate but it seems that the buddy buddy ones were the people who got promoted and treated better by management. I've since tried to open up a bit more. Its hard bc I'm not really a sharing type person anyways but if that's what I gotta do to move up this retail ladder, lets go. I also work with all girls, definitely changes the work environment.
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

As much as you are comfortable with. I am a people person. I love to meet and know new people. If you worked with me I would talk a lot and ask you a ton of questions .

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Same here!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

As much as you are comfortable with. I am a people person. I love to meet and know new people. If you worked with me I would talk a lot and ask you a ton of questions .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM

It really depends on the situation. I've worked on some projects where it is strictly professional...almost no personal chit chat, and others where we have become friends through work and share a lot. I usually just try to match the culture I'm in and be about the same as most folks in the group.  But no complaining is my rule...if you were up most of the night with a barfing toddler and are dead on your feet, your coworker doesn't need to hear it when they ask you to help them with a work request. 

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you're being secretive but it might be coming across that you don't want to be friends with anyone. Yes, you're there to work but I know that I've made some lifelong friends through different jobs I've had. I met and got to know my husband while we both worked at McDonalds. Lol! But you aren't doing anything wrong. :-) 

coupon_ash_back
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Idon't share much. It's none of their business.

valrubio
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I keep it professional. I'm there to work not socialize. I keep info minimal too.

Lovinme2784
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Ugh! I feel the same way I don't talk much to co workers unless it's about work. One of my cov workers suggested an anti depressant
the_dude
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM

nil to nada man, trust the former depot dude. 

So_Devious20
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have this same issue. I'm generally a nice person. I'm chatty, friendly, and mostly professional. But I don't really share my life story. I don't think everyone needs to know my business and I'm not sure who talks and who doesn't yet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN