Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Feed sleep routine---is this normal?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 5 week old wakes up at night just about every two hours or less to feed. Feeding takes maybe 20 minutes (that's to breast and bottle--he loves his food and dr says to do what he wants.) At that point he is half awake so I rock/hold him to get him to sleep, but end up having to do this for over 30 minutes most of the times because he pops his eyes open as soon as I lay him in his crib of he is not completely asleep. So basically I lose an extra hour of much needed sleep just trying to make sure he is asleep so he doesn't wake and scream. Is this normal? Does everyone do this? Is there another way??
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I would just put him down even if he o pens his eyes doesn't mean he won't go back to sleep. He is only 5 weeks old. I'm sure he will fall back asleep pretty fast
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Why breast and bottle... is he not making enough diapers, or not gaining weight, or what's going on?

I'd cut out the bottles... even if you need to supplement for some reason, you can do that during the day.   Lay down, lay him next to you, get him latched on and go back to sleep.   That's it.   It's normal for them to wake up the second you put them down because they want to be close to you!  :)

Rhylansmommy1
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM
He has gained a significant amount of weight and is growing very fast. Dr said he needs what he wants and currently he wants all my breat milk and another 2-3 oz!! It's crazy, I know, but my dr said the baby knows what he needs and to keep up the "good work." You would think he would get that "milk drunk" look and go to sleep but he doesn't like all my other friend babies do.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Why breast and bottle... is he not making enough diapers, or not gaining weight, or what's going on?

I'd cut out the bottles... even if you need to supplement for some reason, you can do that during the day.   Lay down, lay him next to you, get him latched on and go back to sleep.   That's it.   It's normal for them to wake up the second you put them down because they want to be close to you!  :)

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Drs are wrong. You will never be able to supply that extra 2-3oz if you keep giving him the bottle. Breasts work by supply and demand the more he suckles the more you make. Your breasts will start to make those 2-3oz if you take away the bottle. Just so you know drs know shit all about breastfeeding talk to a lactation consultant. This is coming from someone who had the exact same problem.

I have only one solution to your sleep problem but most people wouldn't like it and that is to cosleep. That way both baby and you can get to sleep right after eating. If not you will just have to rock him.

Quoting Rhylansmommy1:

He has gained a significant amount of weight and is growing very fast. Dr said he needs what he wants and currently he wants all my breat milk and another 2-3 oz!! It's crazy, I know, but my dr said the baby knows what he needs and to keep up the "good work." You would think he would get that "milk drunk" look and go to sleep but he doesn't like all my other friend babies do.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM
my oldest ate every hr for 30min till he was 3mo, co sleeping was my savior
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Doctor is wrong. The more formula he gets, theless milk you make, the more baby nurses, the more milk you make. You don't only make one amount of milk and after that's gone, that's it, you make whatever he demands. Your body is designed to meet his needs, you just need to dump the formula and let him do his work. What you're doing now is the fast track to very early weaning.

Dump the formula, nurse on demand. You will make enough. Milk drunk doesnt always happen. He may just need rocked at night... Try Co sleeping.

Quoting Rhylansmommy1:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I agree with the others. Ditch the formula, let him nurse on demand & co-sleep. Learn to latch him while you lay on your side. He will get back to sleep so much faster. The breastfeeding group here is great. I wouldn't take any advice from a Dr about breastfeeding or nutrition for that matter.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I would ditch the bottles.  You're essentially feeding himt twice.  2-3 oz is a full feed for his age.  Just nurse and most likely you'll nurse him back to sleep.  I think you should find a new dr as well. That one knows nothing about breastfeeding.  Giving formula tells your body to make less milk and fast track to weaning and bottle preference.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)