Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Question about violence

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 2 Replies

Poll

Question: Question about Violence

Options:

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

Ok, I live near Chicago and the violence there and surrounding areas is outstanding. I just wanted opinion's about why people now (adults and teenagers) go to killing people instead of just old fashion fighting?

Yes I know violence of any type is wrong, but let's face it violence has been around since people have been on this earth, and will be around till the last human leaves this earth. I am not talking about global violence and war. I am talking about your neighbor pissing you off and getting into a fight.

It's seems like now, people are more willing to go from 0-60 with little provocation. Why are we as a society more likely to go straight to deadly violence?

1. Are we just lazy? Are we just to lazy to physically fight out our differences ?  

2. Are we spoiled into instant gratification? If you fight someone, yes you might get hurt during the fight, but they might retaliate later therefore you will continue to have to deal with this person. So if you "eliminate" the problem now you won't have to deal with it later?

3. Is it lack of traditional values being taught to children or lack of the nuclear family unit? I read about an tribe that were head hunters, they were classified as extremely aggressive when involved in tribal wars and such. One theory why that tribe was so violent was the husband and wife never really lived together, the children lived with the mother until the boys were teenagers then they moved in with other bachelor males. The father lived with other adult males during the majority of his children's lives.

4. Are we too self involved? Are we only concerned with our wants and needs and not much else.

5. Are we just wusses? Are we just afraid of getting a good old fashion butt whuppin and letting everyone live to fight another day.

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ingrid198
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm from the area around Newburgh, NY another big crime city and murder rates are staggering. I'm from a nice traditional town a few miles away but have lived around it and have seen the neighborhoods and felt the "lock the doors" when stopped at a red light and there are groups on the corner...

I could say its how they are raised and i think that has a lot to do with it as well but even so there are some strong and great people that come from shitty lives, and there are some great people who live in crappy neighborhoods so I chose that they are self involved. They live in the moment and they are selfish..they dont think that pulling the trigger takes a young dad from his kids or a son from a mother. they are thinking you're on my corner or something ridiculous like that and they snap. To them it's status, money, power and since they don't amount to much more than their reputation on the street they are willing to kill over it.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I live in Philadelphia PA so I totally understand. The gun violence here is insane. I honestly think it's alittle of everything you wrote especially number 2, 3 & 5. How do you feel raising your kid or kids there. I have a one yr old & am really struggling with this lately. I would love to move but we own a home here & it's paid off. Moving would mean a lot of financial debt but our safety is important too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN