Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CARMAX

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 17 Replies

Has anone ever gone to Carmax to have their vehicle appraised by them? Do they offer close to private party or is it more like trade in value? What is your experience with them??? 

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaliBeachBabies
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I went and got the appraisal on my car, it was over blue book, sold it to them and turned around and bought a "new" car on the spot with that money. I had heard that they don't give as much on trade ins.
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Might do that with our truck because the blue book is still high on it. It is right under the 100K mark and I am arfaid i would have to settle less with a private party. 

Quoting CaliBeachBabies:

I went and got the appraisal on my car, it was over blue book, sold it to them and turned around and bought a "new" car on the spot with that money. I had heard that they don't give as much on trade ins.

1frog
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Never did an appraisal. We bought my sons truck there and they tried to force me into financing, I had enough in checking to pay for it. They kept negotiating with me so long my husband finally walked outside, he couldn't handle it anymore. Finally I called my bank and gave them permission to just tell them I had enough in this account to cover the price of the truck. Then they tried to get me to, well, just let us write up the loan paperwork and you can pay it off right away. Again, no way. I finally said I could not believe that you have never taken a check from someone before for the full amount of the vehicle. It isn't my problem you people don't know how to accept a perfectly acceptable form of payment when I had called ahead and was told it would be fine. Someone had to know, or know who to call to find out, and I wasn't leaving until that was accomplished. I also said if I got to impatient waiting, I'd just leave and they wouldn't have a deal at all. Guess what? They found someone who knew how to take a check and write up the paperwork properly. Amazing huh?

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

no idea...here's a bump for ya  :)

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

That souds stupid. Sign this loan so we can charge you almost the cost of the car in interest. 

Quoting 1frog:

Never did an appraisal. We bought my sons truck there and they tried to force me into financing, I had enough in checking to pay for it. They kept negotiating with me so long my husband finally walked outside, he couldn't handle it anymore. Finally I called my bank and gave them permission to just tell them I had enough in this account to cover the price of the truck. Then they tried to get me to, well, just let us write up the loan paperwork and you can pay it off right away. Again, no way. I finally said I could not believe that you have never taken a check from someone before for the full amount of the vehicle. It isn't my problem you people don't know how to accept a perfectly acceptable form of payment when I had called ahead and was told it would be fine. Someone had to know, or know who to call to find out, and I wasn't leaving until that was accomplished. I also said if I got to impatient waiting, I'd just leave and they wouldn't have a deal at all. Guess what? They found someone who knew how to take a check and write up the paperwork properly. Amazing huh?

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Private party blue book or trade in value bluebook.

Quoting CaliBeachBabies:

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Way more than trade in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Frustrating! Yep, they find people real quick when you want to leave right. Sales is such a funny business. Frog, welcome.  :)

OP, I've never been there!

Quoting 1frog:

KenneMaw
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I have never had experience with a trade in or appraisal, but if you are looking to buy a car there, I would shop around because around here (Atlanta), their cars tend to be a bit pricey and you can get a better deal for the same year and model elsewhere.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I wasn't planning on buying a new one from them, just selling my extra vehicle and other toys to maybe get a new one after I get my tax return. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured