Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Behavior in school

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 38 Replies
My son is in 1st grade and they use the color system(green, yellow, red, and blue). He's been getting yellow, red and blue for fooling around or not listening to the teacher. I've taken away video games and his computer time. I told him he can get them back when he starts getting green again. What else can I do?
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Make him write apology letters, sentences
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM
My youngest is on the same system he knows if he comes home with red we pop his butt yellow he looses playtime and tv he has only hotten 1 red and 1 yellow lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dutchcanadain
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM

he in grade one not older grade please be understanding with him ,talk to see what is going on ,the more you hell and scream at him the more he will misbehave

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
She never said she yelled and screamed. I think she is doing the right thing. By 1st grade they should know rules are rules because they learned it in kindergarten and 1st grade.

Quoting dutchcanadain:

he in grade one not older grade please be understanding with him ,talk to see what is going on ,the more you hell and scream at him the more he will misbehave

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I agree. He's old enough to know what the rules are. It's hard for him to talk about (maybe), but he knows the consequences. Anything left would be giving him an excuse to do the bad behavior.
We are working on this with my Kindergartener. We did it all last yr in K5 as well. It took the first full year and this year, he seems to have grown up a lot. We were frustrated because we didn't know how to reach him and it seemed the punishments didn't work. But with consistency and him growing up some gas helped a ton. He will get it! Just be consistent and patient. And maybe go over the rules every morning before school and what will happen if not followed. :) Some kids need that reminder.

Quoting atlmom2:

She never said she yelled and screamed. I think she is doing the right thing. By 1st grade they should know rules are rules because they learned it in kindergarten and 1st grade.

Quoting dutchcanadain:

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, GL

DanaG70
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Let him know what the consequences will be if he come home with a red, blue or yellow, also let him know what good things come from have a green. Stick to it and hopefully after a week he'll understand.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree. I have huge issues with school systems expecting kiders- grade 2 to sit for hours at a time and learn. Of course by then they should KNOW the rules that doesn't meant they are physically capible of following them. Some are but a lot (especially boys) are NOT physically capible to do so. Trying to fix the child will eventually work once their body can sit for that long and hold attention. The problem is with the school system not the children. 5 and 6 year olds still learn by playing not talking at this point. Its a really harmful system. We are creating all these "bad kids" from something we created. You can't expect a 1 year old to be potty trained the same as you can't expect a lot of 5 year olds to learn that way. We need to stop seeing it as them being bad and start seeing it as a problem in the curriculum.

Quoting Saharra:

I agree. He's old enough to know what the rules are. It's hard for him to talk about (maybe), but he knows the consequences. Anything left would be giving him an excuse to do the bad behavior.

We are working on this with my Kindergartener. We did it all last yr in K5 as well. It took the first full year and this year, he seems to have grown up a lot. We were frustrated because we didn't know how to reach him and it seemed the punishments didn't work. But with consistency and him growing up some gas helped a ton. He will get it! Just be consistent and patient. And maybe go over the rules every morning before school and what will happen if not followed. :) Some kids need that reminder.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting dutchcanadain:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Every kid has a currency that is really important to them.  He may like computer time and video games but if it isn't changing his behavior then it isn't his currency.  Try to think about what that may be for him.  I can be different for every kid.  Really think and get creative if you have to.  My middle son loves cheese and his absolute favorite food is quesadillas.  He wanted one every day for lunch when he got home from school last year(he was 1/2 day kindergarten).  He was bringing bad reports home of not listening though so we took them away and told him he had be get good reports for 5 days in a row before earning them back.  Guess, what, it worked for him, lol.  We had tried toys and such but nothing worked until quesadillas.  Think of what he likes the most and try that. 

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you make a point of gently reminding him each morning before school about what good behavior looks like?  Have him list ways the things he can do the make sure he is paying attention and not being rude to the teacher and his classmates.  It is important that he think of these things, not you just listing them.  That way he feels empowered by the idea that they are his choices, not someone else's rules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN