Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do you deal with added stress in your life?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

Typically, I think I handle stress pretty well. I just focus on things one at a time and keep plodding through until things get easier, not letting much of anything get to me. Lately, though, I can't shake it. I'm stressed all the time and losing my temper because of it. It's like I just can't cope at all anymore with the stress from work, kids, spouse, bills, chores, etc., especially with so many surprises popping up like trips to the ER or high-priced repairs that MUST be made now. 

How do you deal with added stress in your life? What's your favorite way to de-stress? 

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AromaDrops33
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM
A nice big glass of wine and a dead sea salt bath ;)
JennasMom2
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I'd have to agree with this, I always have a bottle of wine chilling! In addition to this, deep breaths when you're feeling overwhelmed. Also be sure you take a little bit of time for yourself... away from hubby, kids, just time for you to clear your head and relax. Even if it's to run errands, grocery shop, etc. make it a point to go alone :)

Quoting AromaDrops33:

A nice big glass of wine and a dead sea salt bath ;)

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Since you realize you are reacting to stress, you are already on the road to getting your reactions under control. Take really good care of yourself- sleep, fluids, nutrition, make sure you've had a recent blood work up- since thyroid and other glands can go wonky and make it harder to go with the flow.  Yoga and relaxation exercises can help. Breathing exercises. My favorite way to de-stress is to sit with my feet up and read a good book.

famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not have a good stress-coping mechanism, my boiling point is low. I choose yoga, meditation, and wine. Dh and I have a couple of cheap dates every week, and a romantic date every other week. The cheap dates are for us to talk it out or take a quick breather, the romantic dates are to nurture the relationship. I also like to watch comedies, laughter really is the best medicine.
TatorsBaby09
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I hear ya Bama Babe the way I deal with the stress is I call and talk to my husband who is a tuck driver again so he is gone away from home for 3 months then comes home when he needs to go to the doctor for his check ups and run test seeing as his dad has prostate cancer and dealing very well with it. one of my favorite ways to destress is take a hot bath with bubbles and candles another way is a hot bath with epsom Salt in it. or go to get a manicure/pedicure if I can afford it.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I typically try to do things that are calming like take a little time to read or take a walk.  There have two times where it has gotten like where you described where I would be loosing my temper and just completely overwhelmed.  I went to the doctor and found out I had anxiety and I was able to get some meds to help for a few months.  I don't know if you feel it has gotten to that point but thought I would mention it. 

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I have had an very stressful year or so.  One of my golden rules has been "Go to bed when the kids go to bed"  Even if I don't actually sleep, it gives me time to decompress and relax so that I am not exhausting myself further.  Not being exhausted helps me to maintain my health and my mental well-being so I don't lose my temper.

AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Have a good cry.  Seriously, crying helps relieve stress.  Cry in the shower so nobody hears you, if you need to.  Go park your car someplace and cry.  Watch sad movies if you need help to get started.  

Also, even if you think you can't find time for yourself, unless someone is bleeding or has stopped breathing, most things aren't really all that urgent.  So take a minute here, and a minute there to just sit.  Just got home?  Sit in the car for a minute or two before you go inside.  Just finished getting dressed?  Sit on your bed and do nothing for a minute or two.... you get the idea.

storkradio193
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I try and relax, release and meditate if I can find the time.

jellybeanjean
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM

This. After "it" really gets to me I cry and cry and cry. Then I usually get some music going, and it gets me in a better state of mind.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Have a good cry.  Seriously, crying helps relieve stress.  Cry in the shower so nobody hears you, if you need to.  Go park your car someplace and cry.  Watch sad movies if you need help to get started.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)