Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADVICE PLEASE!

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

HI MY NAME IS TRISH. I HAVE 1 LITTLE BOY WHO IS 4. WHEN HE WAS 3 I PUT HIM IN PRESCHOOL & HE WASN'T READY YET. THIS YEAR I PUT HIM IN A DIFFERENT PRESCHOOL, & HE'S HAVING TROUBLE WITH LISTENING & WANTS TO DO HIS OWN THING. I'M WORRIED THAT HE'S GONNA BE LET GO THERE. HE DOES REALLY WELL AT HOME WITH LISTENING & LEARNING, BUT DOESN'T HELP HIM NOT HAVING SILBLINGS, HES AROUND MOM & DAD ALL THE TIME, EXPECT SCHOOL. I'M BEATING MYSELF UP ABOUT THIS, & FEEL SO BAD IF HE DOESN'T GET TO CONTINUE PREK. JUST LOOKING FOR ADVICE, IS THERE ANY OTHER MOM'S OUT THERE GOING THROUGH THIS???

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to the teachers and see if they have any advice.  I bet they encounter this a lot.  I would also take him in more group settings when you can by possibly doing a play group or going to church group or things where he will be around other kids and have to listen in a group setting. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Oh yes, and at the age of 4 he is able to have consequences after actions so I would start giving him consequences at home for not listening at school. 

Proudmommy6809
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Thanks countrygirlkat :) Started taking him to the library for kid interaction, & I know the church would be a good thing. I'm suppose to talk to the teacher tomorrow, so I will ask what she recommends. I'm starting to think I may just teach him at home. I was just trying to get him ready for kindergarten next year. Hopefully everything will work out the way it's suppose to. Thanks :)

choco_mom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I would really push to keep him in.  I know a few kids who didn't go to preschool and had a really hard time with Kindergarden.  Wait and see what the teachers say before doing that. 

PreK isn't all about leaning its about learning to following rules and interacting with other adults/kids etc.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You are welcome.  I hear you about wondering about keeping him home.  I will say this though.  I have some wonderful friends who homeschool and do an amazing job of it so I have nothing against homeschooling at all.  Don't just homeschool because of this problem though, only do it if you wanted to do it to begin with.  I you just do it because of this and plan to send him to K next year the problem will still be there next year if nothing changes.  Unless you really want to homeschool I would keep working on it from all angles.  There is the possibility that with getting older he would grow out of it somewhat naturally by next year but more then likey he will need to work on it still then.  It is hard for some kids the first year of being in a structured setting like that so you can make this his first year and work on it now or you can keep him home but probably still have to work on it next year if that is his first year, know what I mean?

Quoting Proudmommy6809:

Thanks countrygirlkat :) Started taking him to the library for kid interaction, & I know the church would be a good thing. I'm suppose to talk to the teacher tomorrow, so I will ask what she recommends. I'm starting to think I may just teach him at home. I was just trying to get him ready for kindergarten next year. Hopefully everything will work out the way it's suppose to. Thanks :)

Proudmommy6809
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

countrygirlkat thanks, you made a good point that I haven't considered about just homeschooling him now because of the problem. I'm sure I would run into some of the same problems next year. I thought about head start program too, or summer program before he goes into kindergarten. I'm gonna do my best to get through this.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I would bring him home. That is really so young to be forced to conform, IMO. Let him mature some more, then try again.

annabellelee
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Have you looked into Montessori?

Proudmommy6809
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

No. What is that ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured