Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update*Help! Dr says my kid is underweight (off the charts) Edited

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this
Update: SO took YDS to his *weight check* today. Supposedly he has gained 3 lbs since last month and the dr is happy. SO and I both think she's crazy. She refuses to admit she made a mistake. He weighs about 10 more oz then he did last month. (19 lbs and a few oz, today 19lbs 14oz) She asked what we were feeding him, and what formula. He told her we hadnt gone with her idea, and were not feeding him formula. She shrugged it off and just said fine. She doesnt need to see him again until his one year. So, it looks like she either read the chart wrong last month and read 16 lbs, or someone wrote down 16 lbs. She wont admit to either. She just said he gained 3 lbs. How can you be happy with a baby gaining 3 lbs in a month? That screams overfeeding to me. Either way, we went back just to cover ourselves incase she wanted to be vindictive and say we were neglecting him. W/e, she's happy, we're happy, and we've found a new dr. And no, SO wouldnt argue with the dr, he just wanted to get in and get out.

EDITED:

Thank you ladies for all the awesome comments and info. SO and I gave ourselves a week to make a decision on going to another dr or staying. Just to be clear, our current dr told us we need to go to her diet plan and we are supposed to be going to a weight check in a month. (Her diet -  4oz each of meat, fruit, veg (x2) 4oz rice cereal mixed with formula (x2), 4oz bottle of formula (x2), all in addition to my bf-ing.  The difference between her diet plan and what we've been doing? We use table food, not jarred food. Maybe she wants something more easily measured? We typically give YDS a piece of fruit with dry cereal in the morning, veggies with crackers for lunch, and whatever we're having for dinner. (meat,  veg, starch, grain) While he nurses every 3-4 hours (some days 2-3). If you directly compare it, it sounds exactly the same! But yet she claims we arent feeding him enough.

SO told her we wont be doing her changes, and that is her main reason for the weight check next month. Also, I managed to find one of the weight checks I wrote down for ODS, when he was 10 months old, he was measured at 30inches and 20 lbs. She said he was perfectly fine then. (November 2011) So how is YDS, measued at 29 inches and 19 lbs under weight? In her words, off the charts? It sounds like she was exaggerating and tryng to scare us, I just dont understand why.

My only guess as to her worry is because she hasnt been able to consistenly weight check him. We missed his 4 month appt, and he just went to his 6 month appt at 10 months old. We were worried about getting him back so late but both the dr and her staff were quick to tell us it was no big deal at all. He is current on all of his shots, and on a normal schedule in that regard.

BnC since 2006
A-2009, B-2011, X-2012
Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this
Change doctors!!!
Even if there is a problem, which I doubt- YOU are the parent. The pediatrician doesn't get to order you to do anything. They can talk to you about concerns and make recommendations, but I would not ever be going back to a doctor like that!
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
That is not under weight.

My 21mo weight 21lbs....

I think it us time to find a new dr
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM
No doctor should be ordering you to do anything. That's BS. Your son sounds perfectly normal, I'd find a new doctor.
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM
My dd was 20lbs at 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicklopez
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Pretty sure, new dr, is going to be where we go with this. I just really liked my kids having the consistency of going to the same dr their whole lives.

There's been another issue we've had with this dr, guess I should have taken the hint then.

We have a weight check appointment scheduled next month, and how do I go about getting their immunization records transferred?

In texas they have something called immutrack, would it just be in the system for the new dr to see?

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
My dd was off the bottom of the charts for height and weight most of her life. So what? She is almost 20 and is 4ft 10 and 92lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Find a new doctor, and they can request all the records from the old Dr.

Quoting chicklopez:

Pretty sure, new dr, is going to be where we go with this. I just really liked my kids having the consistency of going to the same dr their whole lives.

There's been another issue we've had with this dr, guess I should have taken the hint then.

We have a weight check appointment scheduled next month, and how do I go about getting their immunization records transferred?

In texas they have something called immutrack, would it just be in the system for the new dr to see?

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
My 10 month old weighs 17.13 and he is perfect. Find a new dr.
chicklopez
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

ETA: SO just made it home and we talked some more about what the dr said. Apparently he told the dr I wouldnt be ok with her plan and she is giving us a month to see how his weight is. If he is on a normal pattern of weight gain, she will back off. If he isnt gaining as she thinks he should, then we are supposed to go with her regimene. Also, I was wrong on what she wants him to eat. She does want him to have 2 jars of each, fruit veg and meat, but also 4oz of cereal x2 and 2 4oz bottles not 6. Either way. I feed him the equivalent to 2 jars of fruit, veg, and meat, but it isnt pureed and in a jar. I also let him eat real cereal and crackers, not flaked cereal that needs to be reconstituted. He doesnt get formula, but I dont think he needs it. So, we'll see what happens at his next appt, and I will be there to stick up for myself. Along with the WHO breastfed baby charts in hand.

If push comes to shove, we'll just switch drs. It's as easy as a phone call.

squeakers2
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Find a new dr. She's telling you to overfeed him and is over reacting to things. My son lost an ounce between 7 and 9 months. He was 19.2 and 28-29%. I don't think he'd be able to eat that much, and my son eats A LOT. My daughter was small as a baby and still is. Up until last month, she's been at 29lbs. She just turn 4 yesterday. She was barely 20lbs at a year. I have never had a dr tell me to feed her that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured