Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need advice on how to still take bike rides next summer when I have a baby & 2 toddlers to tote along?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 15 Replies
Do any other moms have multiple children that can't ride bikes solo yet but you enjoy cycling? I have a bike & bike trailer for 2 kids. Can I also attach a seat on my bike? Will that throw off my balance? I live two miles from the beach but it's just a 15 min bike ride. All summer my boys & I would ride down to the beach. I refuse to pay to park or get a sticker it should be included in my yearly taxes! I pay enough to live this close to the water as it is! Any way I'm just curious as to how moms configure seating for multiple kids!? I have a 2.5 yo that will be 3.5, an 4 yo that will be 5 & I'm due in April. I really want my older kids to be able to enjoy the beach next summer I bought a pop up SPF 50 beach tent on clearance today for the baby who most likely will nurse or sleep the whole time. It prly wouldn't be safe to wear the baby in an ergo while pedaling the bike?
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Can the boys learn how to ride a bike in the mean time? My 5 year old rides like a pro. Or, you can get a tandem bike and attach the baby seat
Mammacra
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM
My 4 year old does not listen well enough/have energy or attention to ride on his own that distance on the busy road we have to take. There's a side walk the whole way the speed limit is 30 mph but people go 50-60 it's a very straight flat road & there's tons of side streets. We live off a side street he rides on out quiet road but even my 7 yo makes me nervous b/c he doesn't pay attention as well as I would like.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

emmy526
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Mammacra
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Are both if that baby's legs in casts? If yes why? My 2.5 & 4 year olds can barely sit next to each other without hitting I'm not sticking me sweet innocent new baby inbetween them!

Quoting emmy526:

emmy526
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

i have no idea...kinda looks like it tho...i was just trying to find a pic of a 3-seater i had seen recently, and the baby was in a carseat in the middle of the two siblings...the stroller looked similar to the one i posted, but i think it was a  lot bigger

Quoting Mammacra:

Are both if that baby's legs in casts? If yes why? My 2.5 & 4 year olds can barely sit next to each other without hitting I'm not sticking me sweet innocent new baby inbetween them!

Quoting emmy526:

Mammacra
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I would love to somehow get the infant seat attached that would be ideal! I appreciate your help! If you find that other pic please post!!!!

Quoting emmy526:

i have no idea...kinda looks like it tho...i was just trying to find a pic of a 3-seater i had seen recently, and the baby was in a carseat in the middle of the two siblings...the stroller looked similar to the one i posted, but i think it was a  lot bigger

Quoting Mammacra:

Quoting emmy526:

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM
It's not safe to put a newborn on a bike. They need to be closer to 1 so they can wear a helmet.
Next year I highly recommend a front seat. We have an awesome one. Sadly dd has outgrown it so we are looking for a solution to our problem too. Right now we have a tandem bike with a trail a bike and a front seat. We want a tandem trail a bike but they are expensive!
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Everything I have ever seen recommends waiting until the age of one for a baby to be in a trailer or in a seat because they need to be able to wear a helmet and to hold their heads up firmly.  They trailer isn't as smooth of a ride as a vehicle so they are much more likely to get bumped around too much when they are too little to support themselves.  I would be even more woried about wearing one in an ergo because of you fall you will fall on baby.  It is tough but I would wait until the next year to bike with the baby when they are a year old.  Maybe you can walk while the kids bike and you push a stroller with the 5 and 3 year olds and the baby in an ergo. 

AviannasMama
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I'm a little late but I started using an ibert when my dd was 7-8mo. Its a front bike seat. I found a helmet that fit her. I'm not sure of the name of it but I can try to find out. Its pretty much the only helmet they make small enough for babies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)