Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do you get a stubborn 3yo to brush or let you brush his teeth?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

I started out really early with my girls and never had a problem with brushing their teeth, but everything I did with them doesn't work for my sister with her son.

How do you get a stubborn 3yo to brush or let you brush his teeth?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Its just not a choice. In our house I get to brush each area while counting to 10(slowly of course) he can either scream or behave.
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I would hold him down and brush his teeth not a option:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Start it as soon as they get teeth as part of their bedtime routine. Never had an issue with it. As soon as their jammies are on my kids automatically go to the kitchen to get their vitamins, then the bathroom to brush their teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I used scare tactics.  Read the The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss.  Tell him if he doesn't brush his teeth he will get cavites and cavities hurt.  Tell him his teeth will fall out and that means he'll have to go back to eating baby food.  If all else fails, google some pictures of rotten teeth.  :-)

thebailiffs
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

ditto...no choice

katyq
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My 3year old son screams bloody murder. Oh well :p i tried everything i could think of to make it fun or at least bearable but he wasn't having it and so here we are.

TattedReader
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
hold him down and hold his nose..he'll open up if he wants to breath.

lol joking. But really. It's never an option to my 3 and 2 year old. They will either scream or cooperate. Either way their mouths are open and I'm brushing
urbpro
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

When my kids were little, I made up a song and they loved it :o) Now, my oldest is 9 and the youngest are 6 and they all have those toothbrushes that play music for 2 minutes so they know how long to brush.

momwriter
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

My 5 year old hates it. I'd rather brush them but he wants to do it himself. When he was younger I let him brush MY teeth before I brushed his...

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I will force it if need be, but I also tell them no sweets if I can't brush out the cavity creeps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)