Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are you worried/ did you worry about getting vaccinated against the flu while pregnant?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 28 Replies

4 Myths About Pregnancy & the Flu Shot

by Adriana Velez

flu shotThe question comes up every fall: Should pregnant women get the flu shot? On one hand, a flu shot could save your unborn baby's life. On the other hand, a lot of us feel squeamish about flu vaccines in general, even more so during pregnancy. What's in that thing, and should we really be getting vaccinated while we're pregnant? In fact, while vaccinations are up for most people, expecting moms are still very resistant. Only about half of pregnant women get the flu shot. So now doctors are working to get the word out: The flu shot is perfectly safe during pregnancy. Here's why.

It doesn't cause miscarriage. According to a study of pregnant women tracked between 2009 and 2011, women who were vaccinated for the H1N1 virus were no more likely to suffer a miscarriage than women who were not vaccinated.

It doesn't cause birth defects or affect birth weight. In another study of 4,191 pregnant women, vaccinated women were no more likely to deliver a baby with birth defects than unvaccinated women.

It doesn't cause premature birth. In one study, vaccinated women on average delivered their babies three days earlier than non-vaccinated women, but doctors are not concerned about this small difference. In another study, vaccinated women actually delivered later than unvaccinated women.

It doesn't cause complications. Yet another study shows that the flu vaccine is not tied to pregnancy complications like high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, or urinary tract infections.

Of course, you should still talk with your doctor before getting vaccinated. You may have some special concerns that make you an exception. But in study after study, doctors are not finding a risk for getting vaccinated during pregnancy.

Are you worried / did you worry about getting vaccinated against the flu while pregnant?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Succubus1987
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM
No, i've never had the flu shot.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I did not worry. In fact, after it was clear I was positive beyond a shadow of a doubt , I bit the bullet, dealt with my fear of needles and got it.

budgie1117
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Out of my 3 pregnancies, I only had 1 flu shot (and it was my first flu shot ever). Awful! I have seriously never been so sick in my life! Within hours of getting the shot (literally, hours), my throat started hurting. Cough, runny nose, fever, head and body aches all ensued thereafter. Couldn't sleep. Both nostrils were totally blocked. Completely. When I spoke, I sounded like I had 2 corks stuffed in each nostril! I was so sick for about 3 weeks. I will never, EVER get a flu shot again. Ever.
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
We don't get the flu shot to begin with. I didn't get it when I was pregnant with my son and I won't get it during this pregnancy.
aimesnyc
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Not at all.  My doc recommended it, and I took it.  I was fine.  I think it's the only time in life I have ever had a flu shot.  I figured that I should especially protect myself and my unborn child.

housewifehell
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Anyone who believes it is safe or necessary especially during pregnancy is a sheep!
Heymamashakeit
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don't believe this at all. Of course the people who make it will tell you its safe. I don't believe it though. My doc knows better to ask if we want the flu shot. So does my OB.

a06z08mama
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I got it during my 2nd pregnancy. I worked in a hospital at the time. I got it. I was just fine. I may not get it this year since I have a different job (not pregnant either) but both my kids will get it.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

back in '96, it was advised pregnant women NOT receive this vax, as too many unknowns about it existed.  The unknowns still exist, as testing on pregnant women has never been done, as it is unethical. 

kryysteez
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

A couple years ago at least 4000 women aborted dead babies after the H1N1 flu vaccine. Many were close to full term and it only took a week or less to kill the baby.  Their stories are on the internet  What is in that shot that can kill a fetus?  Besides it states on the PACKAGE INSERT of the vaccine, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PREGNANT WOMEN.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN