Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

19 month old Picky Eater :(

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM
  • 19 Replies

Okay ladies I need some advice on how I handle this picky eater situation that my 19 mo old son is starting. Everytime we try to feed this kiddo something he pushes the food away and refuses to eat especially ground up vegtables. It's frustrating as it is because our son meaing Darling Fiance and myself son who is the picky eater wont coroporate with us when it comes to meal time, and also the other problem we have is our son is speech delayed so when we try to feed the lil guy he just ends up having a tantrum because hes frustrated that he can't tell us what he wants. This is getting really frustrating :(

So Any bit of advice on how we handle this situation would be so appreciated. Ty girls :)

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Ok I will help when i get more info in the post area.

Rampgirl04
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

LOL sorry, I originally hit the send button before I even finished editing the post and now it's edited :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Caidysmom
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Is he in speech or feeding therapy ?
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Have you tried whole veggies that have been cooked so they have some of the crunchiness taken out but not all?  DD would not touch baby food consistency at this age.  Perhaps let him explore with some raw veggies as well.  It could take 7 or more times of trying a food for him to know whether he likes it or not.  You can also sneak in veggies for various recipes to make them more healthy but not obvious to the eater what is in the food.

Quoting Rampgirl04:

LOL sorry, I originally hit the send button before I even finished editing the post and now it's edited :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

AprilDJC
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Try steaming whole chunks of veggies. They love feeding themselves and foods they can eat with their fingers is "fun" for them. Good meal choices might be:

Small pieces of dinner roll, steamed carrot cubes, green peas, diced meat and cheese cubes

Sandwich with hummus and spinach (raw) and sliced cucumber, cut into small bite sized pieces, diced strawberries, and banana pieces with a cup of milk to drink

Breakfast: cheese omelet with spinach sauteed into it, a small piece of banana bread or pumpkin bread, and some diced fruit.

Oatmeal (cut up an Apple into tiny chunks and boil it in the water with the oats). Sprinkle in a tiny bit of cinnamon, and sweeten with a little honey. Yummy Apple cinnamon oatmeal!
Rampgirl04
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:18 AM

He's actually in speech and occupational therapy at the same time to help with both :)

Quoting Caidysmom:

Rampgirl04
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM

I haven't started with veggies that are cooked, I have however  tried to put a few whole canned beans for him to try since he can pick it up with his little fingers and try feeding himself but he wont even touch those. You had a good idea with sneaking veggies in various recipes which we will have to start trying that more often. Ty for the great thoughts.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you tried whole veggies that have been cooked so they have some of the crunchiness taken out but not all?  DD would not touch baby food consistency at this age.  Perhaps let him explore with some raw veggies as well.  It could take 7 or more times of trying a food for him to know whether he likes it or not.  You can also sneak in veggies for various recipes to make them more healthy but not obvious to the eater what is in the food.

Quoting Rampgirl04:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Your Welcome.  I hide veggies in my own meals at times since i do not like certain textures.  I will turn homemade beef stew into gravy due to the texture of the meat LOL. I think there is a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious or something like that.

Quoting Rampgirl04:

I haven't started with veggies that are cooked, I have however  tried to put a few whole canned beans for him to try since he can pick it up with his little fingers and try feeding himself but he wont even touch those. You had a good idea with sneaking veggies in various recipes which we will have to start trying that more often. Ty for the great thoughts.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Rampgirl04:

Quoting frndlyfn:

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep offering only healthy foods. Don't feed any junk to him at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caidysmom
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My dd is 28 months. She is in speech, feeding, OT, and PT.
Have tried the squeeze pouches for toddlers?
It by no means substitutes real fruit and veggies but if he's not eating, it's worth a try. My daughter likes them , because she cannot see the purée.
She only likes dry food. Crackers, French fries, etc.
We started putting a thin line of peanut butter in between her graham crackers.
It took a long time for her to tolerate, but now she will eat peanut butter on wheat bread.
It may sound silly but to help with the tantrums at meal time , give him a "bye-bye" bowl.
Say "ok, if your not gonna eat, say goodbye, and put it in the bowl"
Doing this consistently helped with the screaming and throwing.
I hope it gets better for you!
Keep up all your hard work, I know it's hard!

Quoting Rampgirl04:

He's actually in speech and occupational therapy at the same time to help with both :)

Quoting Caidysmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured