Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

St John's Wort...tea?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone tried this? I read in another post how St. Johns Wort is good for emotional health. When I was out shopping I saw St. John's Wort Tea, I was wondering if I should try it. Has anyone tried St Johns Wort in any form? Was it effective? 

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard it can be great for anxiety and emotional health, but know BC pills can be less effective. Maybe other forms of bc too. My dd had some anxiety and instead she takes B12, B 1 and B 6 vitamins. Works awesome and doesn't mess with BC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought some but I read the box after I purchased it and the box had a disclaimer that said that you have to drink 3 cups a day for 3 months for its full effect.  The kinda that I got was Traditional Medicinals.  I have found that some of their other teas work great (Mother's milk tea, throat coat, cold care).  I just wouldn't recommend that brand for st. john's wort unless you drink at least 3 cups of tea a day.  Make sure you read the box.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not but I have heard it does help.  Depending on how hard things are emotionally I would suggest taking to your doctor about medicine or therapy as those both can really help with depression and anxiety.  Good luck!

artmomjacob
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

St. Johns wort the vitamin may be an easier way then making 3 cups of tea a day, i was on the vitamin when i was struggling getting the doctor to keep me on meds for my depression. It did help me out!

squeekers
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
JennasMom2
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I did talk to my dr. about it and she thinks it may be really bad PMS. She suggested meds that I could take for 2 weeks a month. I would just prefer to do something natural. I'm not a big fan of meds. 

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I have not but I have heard it does help.  Depending on how hard things are emotionally I would suggest taking to your doctor about medicine or therapy as those both can really help with depression and anxiety.  Good luck!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM
St John's Wort has side effects too so read up on it if you decide to take it. It is not regulated by the FDA.

Quoting JennasMom2:

I did talk to my dr. about it and she thinks it may be really bad PMS. She suggested meds that I could take for 2 weeks a month. I would just prefer to do something natural. I'm not a big fan of meds. 

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM
That is always my concern with natural things too that they can have side effects and don't have to be regulated. I try to stick with recommendations from my doctor or my chiropractor because they are the experts in that area, lol. I have gotten some very good natural recommendations from them as well as medicine recommendations.
Quoting atlmom2:

St John's Wort has side effects too so read up on it if you decide to take it. It is not regulated by the FDA.

Quoting JennasMom2:

Quoting countrygirlkat:

JennasMom2
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

what do you mean by BC? 

Quoting atlmom2:

I heard it can be great for anxiety and emotional health, but know BC pills can be less effective. Maybe other forms of bc too. My dd had some anxiety and instead she takes B12, B 1 and B 6 vitamins. Works awesome and doesn't mess with BC.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Birth control pills

Quoting JennasMom2:

what do you mean by BC? 

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN