Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Has a vaccine caused serious side effects to your child?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM
  • 694 Replies
1 mom liked this
Has a vaccine caused serious side effects to your child? Was it the first time they got the vaccine? Which vaccine? How old were they? What happened? Thank you.
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM
At 6mo my oldest had an allergic reaction. Her tongue & throat swelled.
Corina1987
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh no! That's so scary. That was her thrid round of shots or her first? How did you notice? Glad your baby is ok.

Quoting HIJKLM:

HungryForTruth
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM
8 moms liked this

Two of my kids had reactions. My oldest daughter was 2 or 2 1/2. It was one of the combo shots (wasn't sure which one becuse the doctor gave her multiple shots becasuse she was behind). She got a rash and had cold symptoms. She kept ear infections and a cold when she was vaccinated. Once I stopped vaccinating her all of that cleared up on it's own. My 2nd daughter had horrible reactions at a month old. (again, one of the combo shots, not sure which one). She couldn't breath, didn't want to wake or eat and was very lethargic. We rushed her to the ER and was advised against giving her anymore vaccines. I started my research about the safety of vaccines that week of my newborn suffering adverse side effects and my kids have been vax free ever since. Do you have kids? Are they vaccinated? There is an awesome non vax group on here. 

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I believe it was her second, that was 13 years ago lol. It was extremely traumatizing, still makes me cry. I noticed she was fussy and breathing funny, I called my doc and they told me to check her throat. I didn't notice the swollen throat but her tongue was swollen. I can still hear the nurses voice in my head, "what I need you to do is hang up and call 911" (just typing it makes me cry). I couldn't even talk. My 13yo neighbor had to call for the ambulance.

After that I delayed her vaccines until she was around 2 and even then I was scared to death!

She never had any other reactions but it scared me enough that I select and delay vaxed all of my kids.

Quoting Corina1987:

Oh no! That's so scary. That was her thrid round of shots or her first? How did you notice? Glad your baby is ok.

Quoting HIJKLM:

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I always made them separate the MMR and varicella vaccine due to the increased febrile seizure risk. When my son turned 5, I let them give him the combined shot....big mistake. He had an allergic reaction and his arm was huge and swollen from his elbow to his shoulder and he had a huge rash. It took weeks to go away. A few weeks later he got a skin infection called staph scalding skin syndrome that was horrible. They say it wasn't linked but I am convinced his immune system was weak due to the effects of that shot still
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM
No. The smallpox vaccine about killed me though. All the other vaccines I had no issues with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

We've never had any issues but here's a bump for you.

Corina1987
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, that's so scary. Drs always swear nothing bad will happen. I have a 7 month old. I've gotten the shots he will need for school so far and split them up to one shot a week each time. I'm over due for his 6 month shots. I'm always so scared during shot time. Hes gotten a fever and strange colored poop from vax in the past.I have to find that group. Glad your kids are ok!

Quoting HungryForTruth:

Two of my kids had reactions. My oldest daughter was 2 or 2 1/2. It was one of the combo shots (wasn't sure which one becuse the doctor gave her multiple shots becasuse she was behind). She got a rash and had cold symptoms. She kept ear infections and a cold when she was vaccinated. Once I stopped vaccinating her all of that cleared up on it's own. My 2nd daughter had horrible reactions at a month old. (again, one of the combo shots, not sure which one). She couldn't breath, didn't want to wake or eat and was very lethargic. We rushed her to the ER and was advised against giving her anymore vaccines. I started my research about the safety of vaccines that week of my newborn suffering adverse side effects and my kids have been vax free ever since. Do you have kids? Are they vaccinated? There is an awesome non vax group on here. 

Corina1987
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM
That sounds terrifying! It scares me too. My baby has had fevers and strange colored poop after but that's all. He's 7 months and overdue for his 6 month shots. I'm always scared during shots. I only get the ones needed for school and I split them up to one shot a week. I hate it. I want to delay some too. Were you nervous in delaying them also? I feel like it could be a risk either way.

Quoting HIJKLM:

I believe it was her second, that was 13 years ago lol. It was extremely traumatizing, still makes me cry. I noticed she was fussy and breathing funny, I called my doc and they told me to check her throat. I didn't notice the swollen throat but her tongue was swollen. I can still hear the nurses voice in my head, "what I need you to do is hang up and call 911" (just typing it makes me cry). I couldn't even talk. My 13yo neighbor had to call for the ambulance.

After that I delayed her vaccines until she was around 2 and even then I was scared to death!

She never had any other reactions but it scared me enough that I select and delay vaxed all of my kids.

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting HIJKLM:

ToniTennille
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

My son died the next day after his first set of shots. That was 16yrs ago. My next child after him, she is 13yrs old now had a reaction with the first set of shots, hives, high fever of 104, was hospitalized. My next daughter she is 10 yrs old now, I was told the chances were slim for her to have a reasction and I let the Dr. talk me into shots. She did fine with most the shot until her first MMR shot. They almost weren't able to save her. My almost 4 yr old has not had any vaccines. They say it's rare for reactions. There just seems to be something that obviously runs in my family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN