Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help before this dog drives me insane!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:36 AM
  • 16 Replies
My dog developed a huge abscess Friday. It looked like a basketball under his chin, neck, and around the sides of his face. I called the vet who squeezed him in. He had surgery and had to stay overnight. He came home yesterday and he's doing well except he's driving me crazy!
He's normally an inside/outside dog. He loves going and lounging with our outdoor cat and wrestling our other dog or just bathing in the sun. He loves going for walks or to the lake.
But his wound is open to drain. He has to stay inside for 7-14 days to give this thing time to heal from the inside out. He goes outside to pee and that's it. We can't risk flies getting in and it becoming infested with maggots. He can't be with our other dog or cat because the skin is too fragile in that area.
Today my normally well behaved dog drug the trash all over the house and a bunch of other stuff too (I was gone for a few hours he was behind a double high baby gate when I left). He's bored out of his mind. He keeps whimpering and braking. He's driving me crazy! Any ideas to keep him from driving me crazy?
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3_girls_86
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Poor dog!! And poor you! I don't have advice. Hopefully he heals soon so he can quit bugging you!
jonsgirl99
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried to crate him with chew toys and tons of treasts? Or if he is a working dog breed longer than usual walk with a back pack for dogs? these things might help, or maybe a room or object that is ultra comforting to him?

tiniowien
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Can be bite on a toy? Some of the kong types hide small treats, maybe use a stuffed kind to help him stay occupied 

BamaMomto4
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

maybe buy him some new doggie toys.the kind that dispenses treats might keep him busy for a while. If he is left home alone maybe try leaving a TV or radio on in the room he is in. 

sondamom0828
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I would look into a Kennel for while you are gone and at night.  Maybe give him (if okay with the vet) a bully stick to gnaw on.

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Get on of those kong toys and put a bit of peanut butter at one end. Sticks other treats inside.... Like the squeeze cheese, pieces of hot dog, even broken up dog treats. Seal the top with peanut butter and freeze for about 4 hours and let him have it. Because it's frozen it takes a LONG time for him to get the treats. It's relatively inexpensive and will keep him busy for a couple hours.
If you have a dog crate you could give it to him in there.
Walking him with the backpack is a good idea too. Tires him out a bit more.
At least the bugs should be dying some around this time of year :) So there's a small bonus.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you play with him in the house?
Our lab loved hide and seek... You know he is bored and restless.. Maybe throw a chewy up the stairs and let him fetch...
Id also call the vet... Maybe the dog needs a sedative for these days... Or they may have suggestions.
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask the vet for calming meds for him so he can relax while he heals:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Quoting strictmomhere:

Ask the vet for calming meds for him so he can relax while he heals:)

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I will have to do the Kong thing!
No walks because he can't go outside.

Quoting Saharra:

Get on of those kong toys and put a bit of peanut butter at one end. Sticks other treats inside.... Like the squeeze cheese, pieces of hot dog, even broken up dog treats. Seal the top with peanut butter and freeze for about 4 hours and let him have it. Because it's frozen it takes a LONG time for him to get the treats. It's relatively inexpensive and will keep him busy for a couple hours.

If you have a dog crate you could give it to him in there.

Walking him with the backpack is a good idea too. Tires him out a bit more.

At least the bugs should be dying some around this time of year :) So there's a small bonus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured