Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When your area gets a weather alert,

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 109 Replies

When your area gets a weather alert, and you know you may have to evacuate or move to a safe area in the house, what do you think about grabbing , besides the kiddos of course?

We are having a tornado watch, which just means the conditions could lead to a tornado. I though if I have to move to the basement quickly, I'd take my purse and a battery-operated radio, and my kindle.  I have bottled water in the basement and folding chairs. I'd grab a blanket.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Stay safe Barb!

We just moved to an area with possible tornados so I am not really sure yet.  Before we lived in Colorado so the possibilities we faced was blizzards or fires(except for the crazy flooding last month!).  For the fires we would have had to evacuate so I would have first taken the kids and the pets and then if time I would take my laptop, phone, photos, memory boxes, etc.  For the blizzards we could prepare ahead of time so I would stock up on food, water, batteries, etc. 

aimesnyc
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would throw snacks, water, a change of clothes, blankets, a flashlight, and wallets into a backpack.  Make sure we have good shoes on.  Coats/jackets if it's cool/cold out. Cell phones and chargers.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
My dog. Tornados move fast so you are not gonna be in the basement long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My computer, purse, if we are leaving by car we would try to take the cat with us as well.   So far in the 11 years I have lived here we have not had any evacuations or major warnings except for one bad snow storm which shut the state down.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids, cell phone, keys. I keep extra clothes and blankets in our car.
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Mer have tornado warnings frequently. We usually grab the kids with blankets and pillows (because they always seem to happen at night). My purse, because it has all my meds in it. My cell and a charger.
Usually if they send a warning it's coming fast and there isn't enough time to grab a lot. Or it isn't coming at all, but one was spotted and it's gonna get hairy :) Stay safe!!
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Thanks.  We had some heavy rain but nothing very bad.  Good ideas about the batteries and so forth. I've never had to evacuate either, the pets and children would be the main concern, then important papers, and phone, laptop. *nodding*

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Stay safe Barb!

We just moved to an area with possible tornados so I am not really sure yet.  Before we lived in Colorado so the possibilities we faced was blizzards or fires(except for the crazy flooding last month!).  For the fires we would have had to evacuate so I would have first taken the kids and the pets and then if time I would take my laptop, phone, photos, memory boxes, etc.  For the blizzards we could prepare ahead of time so I would stock up on food, water, batteries, etc. 

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Good shoes- I hadn't thought of this. Your list sounds like a quick and good one. 

Quoting aimesnyc:

I would throw snacks, water, a change of clothes, blankets, a flashlight, and wallets into a backpack.  Make sure we have good shoes on.  Coats/jackets if it's cool/cold out. Cell phones and chargers.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I didn't realize this. We've gone to the basement twice for tornado warnings. The first time we realized we didn't have a radio so had no idea if the warning had passed, the second time we did take a radio. 

Quoting atlmom2:

My dog. Tornados move fast so you are not gonna be in the basement long.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I haven't had to evacuate DH and the kids and such and it would be a nightmare with horses, dogs, cats, etc.  We did have to evacuate twice when I was a kid for fires though. 

Quoting Bmat:

Thanks.  We had some heavy rain but nothing very bad.  Good ideas about the batteries and so forth. I've never had to evacuate either, the pets and children would be the main concern, then important papers, and phone, laptop. *nodding*

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Stay safe Barb!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN