Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Which do you use, tylenol or advil?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Which do you use?

Options:

Ibuprofen (Advil)

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

I was thumbing through a webpage and found this study on painkillers.  It turns out that too much tylenol will damage the liver, and too much advil can damage kidneys and cause heart attack and stroke.

From: http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/09/acetaminophen-vs-ibuprofen-which-works-better

Quote:

Ibuprofen is champion against fever, pain and
inflammation, while acetaminophen is better at
fighting arthritis and headache. But acetaminophen
is safer than ibuprofen for most of us if we don’t
take too much. To minimize risks and maximize
benefits, doctors suggest switching between the two
if possible, because they are metabolized differently.
And remember: Always take the smallest effective
dose for the shortest amount of time.

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I try and not use either if I can. I do other things first to relieve pain or fever. It's been known for a while that taking to much of these drugs will cause damage to your liver and kidneys. Growing up my mom even tried to stay away from giving is the children's versions to often.
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Same here. Although I suspect sometimes that if I took something sooner for a nagging headache that the headache wouldn't get as bad.

Quoting KelliansMom:

I try and not use either if I can. I do other things first to relieve pain or fever. It's been known for a while that taking to much of these drugs will cause damage to your liver and kidneys. Growing up my mom even tried to stay away from giving is the children's versions to often.

valrubio
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I try very hard to use neither. I also try every other means of pain relieve or just suck it up.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

What else do you use? heat? cold?

Quoting valrubio:

I try very hard to use neither. I also try every other means of pain relieve or just suck it up.

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
we use them when needed, both of them, those studies are not the first off their kind, all that has been known for a while. when used according to the directions in reasonable amounts they are fine. I gave my sick preschooler and toddler Tylenol lay night before bed to help them get some relief so we could all sleep
valrubio
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting valrubio:

Depending on the pain I use one or the other. Sometimes a warm shower or bath helps too. I also have essential oils and herbs I use for pain too.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I like ibu when nothing else works. :)
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I use ibuprofen on occasion
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I have never tried essential oils or herbs for pain or fever. Good for you to use these. :)

Quoting valrubio:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting valrubio:

Depending on the pain I use one or the other. Sometimes a warm shower or bath helps too. I also have essential oils and herbs I use for pain too.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I tend to use ibuprohen more.  Thanks for sharing this info!  I think this makes a lot of sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)