Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First words you think when you hear bipolar

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 19 Replies

I need some advice on this.  My son (5) is bipolar.  I have not told any parents, other than very good friends who have known him since birth, that he is bipolar.  I'm afraid what parents of his classmates may think.  So, what are the first thoughts that come to mind when you hear a preschooler/kindergartener is bipolar.  Should I tell other parents if it comes up.  Would you want to know?  Thanks ladies

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brehmmom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it really needs to be 'public knowledge'.  If your son makes close friends or you become close with parents, that's a different story.  I don't think it's really anyone's business.  That's like making a point that your child has asthma.  I think it's on a 'need to know' basis.  Just my opinion of course.

gummibr
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting brehmmom:

I don't think it really needs to be 'public knowledge'.  If your son makes close friends or you become close with parents, that's a different story.  I don't think it's really anyone's business.  That's like making a point that your child has asthma.  I think it's on a 'need to know' basis.  Just my opinion of course.

There are some parents of his classmates that we are friendly with and see outside of school.  They have seen him suddenly get depressed at birthday parties for no real reason.  I feel like disclosing it could come up naturally and unfortunately, it is a big part of his life and our decision making.  What would be your reaction though if you heard a kindergartener was bipolar?  I've read other blogs that say children have lost friends and been called crazy and weirdos.  I don't want that for my son but dealing with his illness is a huge part of our lives and I feel like we aren't being fully truthful.

Saharra
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Bipolar is actually very common. My thought is just a sickness like diabetes or asthma or allergies. It is what it is.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

i dont really think its peoples business..unless it was affecting them in some way or another...but honestly, i dont know much about it, so..

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

The first throughts that come to mind are disregulation and unpredictability... Followed by medication. But i grew up for a bit with a bipolar parent... Until she left my family. 

I would want to know as a parent who is dropping off my child for a playdate sure..i would not need to know if the child was in the classroom, the playground, swim class... 

Have you ever read the explosive child Its my favorite book!

www.amazon.com › Books › Parenting & Relationships › Parenting

The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily FrustratedChronically Inflexible Children [Ross W., PhD Greene] on Amazon. com. ... T

gummibr
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I have read this book.  I think its a great book but more geared to children who may be able to control their emotions better than a bipolar child.  I thought about telling the other parents because its such a big part of our lives that not telling them is leaving our a lot of what we go through on a daily basis.  I'm not embarrassed by it but I don't want my son to loose friends over the diagnosis or parent's perception of what the diagnosis is.

Quoting SamMom912:

The first throughts that come to mind are disregulation and unpredictability... Followed by medication. But i grew up for a bit with a bipolar parent... Until she left my family. 

I would want to know as a parent who is dropping off my child for a playdate sure..i would not need to know if the child was in the classroom, the playground, swim class... 

Have you ever read the explosive child Its my favorite book!

www.amazon.com › Books › Parenting & Relationships › Parenting

The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily FrustratedChronically Inflexible Children [Ross W., PhD Greene] on Amazon. com. ... T

JennasMom2
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Honestly, I don't think much of it. If anything it might give them a better understanding if they notice anything with his behavior.  

lilbit53009
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

the first thought that comes to my head when hearing a preschooler/kindergartener is bipolar is wtf...honestly. i was unaware that a child that young could be diagnosed with bi polar. kids moods change alot.

katiebug840204
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Someone who acts two different ways at any given point and time for no obvious reason.
whitleypittman
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
One extreme to another. Thats my understanding of bipolar.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)