Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do I Get These Kids To Stop UPDATED

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 26 Replies

So we moved into our new apartment about a month ago.  There are these two kids that love to play with my daughter which is totally fine.  The thing thats frustrating is they wont stop ringing our doorbell and when we tell them to stop they resort to knocking, and we are talking every 20 to 30 minutes.  I've talked to the mother a few different times (one of which included a conversation about her son (3) pooping behind our apartment.  Now yesterday, my husband said he was sitting at the computer desk (dd was at school) and he heard breathing behind him,  turns out the boy just walked into our house and was standing there watching what he was doing?  He gets really nervous about other kids coming into our house when i'm not there.  he doesn't want some crazy mom frlying off the handle and accusing him of doing things he didn't do because her kids wont stop coming into our house.  I've already reported the issue to property management once and I'm thinking I may have to call property management again.  I've talked to the mother several times about how her children are constantly running around the neighborhood unsupervised.  Yes dd can go outside by herself but she cannot leave the direct area.  she knows that if i can't see her from the front door of the windows, she is in for the rest of the day, plus she is almost 8, these kids are barely 5 and 3.

UPDATE!!!! 10/9/13 @1:30:

So I called property management along with a few other phone calls that needed to be made.  She informed me that they have been receiving complaints about 2 little kids for about 2 months now, but no one knew the address.  I had the address so I gave it to them.  She said its a lease violation for any children under the age of 6 to be outside unattended.  She said with the number of complaints they have been receiving, she is going to talk to her leasing manager to see what can be done about this.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Lock you doors so they dont walk in. Next time they come and your DD can't play tell them to come back tomorrow. The just dont open the door, when they knock

HaileysMom07180
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

we've tried the telling them not to come back, they just lean on the door bell until someone opens the door, and i'm sorry i don't feel like i should have to lock my door just because some kid wont stop walking in.  i think the parents should be watching them.  

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Lock you doors so they dont walk in. Next time they come and your DD can't play tell them to come back tomorrow. The just dont open the door, when they knock

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM

You have to lock the door unfortunately especially if dd is in school so that not only children walk in uninvited but other dangerous people as well.  We have had incidences in our complex of total stranger adults walking randomly into peoples apartments.

-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would be very firm in telling them to stop.  Seriously I would verbally reprimand them myself.  Some people object to parenting of other people's children but if you told their mother and it hasent' helped then you gotta do whatcha' gotta do.  Sometimes kids don't listen to their own parents but will respond to other adults.

HaileysMom07180
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

we had in a kid in our old complex that we had to do that to a few times, but it seemed to click with him, these kids it only clicks for a couple days, then we are right back to it.  but part of me also feels back because they almost act like they are not allowed to go home.

Quoting -PB:

I would be very firm in telling them to stop.  Seriously I would verbally reprimand them myself.  Some people object to parenting of other people's children but if you told their mother and it hasent' helped then you gotta do whatcha' gotta do.  Sometimes kids don't listen to their own parents but will respond to other adults.

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Take them by the hand to their house an tell them and their mom they are not to come again. 

Rae706
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Before we moved, we had a 9 or 10 year old little girl raped and murdered by a maintenance man in her apartment complex. We lived in a small town and this was less than 5 minutes from our building. I never would have thought something like that could happen where we lived. I never let my kids play outside unless someone is watching them. It's sad, but it's how things are now. 

With that said, do what you have to do. 

strictmomhere
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I would make a formal complaint:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

we've tried the telling them not to come back, they just lean on the door bell until someone opens the door, and i'm sorry i don't feel like i should have to lock my door just because some kid wont stop walking in.  i think the parents should be watching them.  

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

No you shouldn't HAVE to. But since these kids dont get boundries, Is it smarter to lock the doors to keep them ouyt. OR take the chance they walk in and accuse you or dh of somethhing ?

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I agree. It's time to send the parents a certified letter, stating that if her kids keep running around unsupervised, you will contact the proper authorities. Too bad it has to be that way.

Quoting strictmomhere:

I would make a formal complaint:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)