Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok ladies what would you do?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 5 Replies
Last night as I was watching the news, a story aired about a man trying to lure his kids to his van with the promise of seeing his chickens (yep, you read that right). He was doing this at a local elementary school. This school is maybe a mile down the road from where we live and tucked very far back in a subdivision (the only reason I know that is because I took ds driving around one day while we were waiting on dd to be done with pre-k last year). There are a handful of schools within 1-4 miles of this school, and there are a lot of kids that ride their bikes or walk to school. I'm really wrestling with emailing the principal at dds school and finding out if there's protocol for this and if not if something can be put in place. It's the same school district, as far as I know, so why couldn't a simple email be sent out about this just making parents aware of the situation? I mean what if this guy moved on to a different area close by, or a different area an hour away? Wouldn't it be better having a refresher of the stranger danger talk with our kids than having one of them taken? I know how my day goes, with 3 kids, I haven't turned the news on in weeks. What if other moms are the same.

Now, this worry is always in the back of my mind. I grew up in there area where Morgan Nick was taken, and a lot of us were told this story repeatedly so we'd remember to stay close to our parents.
What would you ladies do?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
strictmomhere
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I would email the school and suggest it:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I would find away to get the word out there.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I think you're on the right track and I would be frustrated too. 

Keep reminding your kids.   :(

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I would definitely email the school to see what they are willing to do.  If they are not willing to do anything then do all you can to start getting word out by word of mouth.  How scary!

mom_to_kenzie
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Quoting countrygirlkat:

I would definitely email the school to see what they are willing to do.  If they are not willing to do anything then do all you can to start getting word out by word of mouth.  How scary!

I should have added that the school it happened at did send an email telling parents..dd goes to a different elementary nearby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)