Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training going backwards?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

My ds3 seems to be going backwards with potty training. He was getting so good we (me,dh, and his preschool teacher) thought he was just about there but now he usually refuses to go most of the time, or he'll go to the bathroom but stand in front of the toilet.

I should add that ds has delays in speech, language, and adaptive behavior. His teacher says we shouldn't make a big deal about it b/c she thinks it's more of a "control" thing w/him. Has anyone else dealt w/this or have any other suggestions?

We have put him in undies but he just doesn't care if his undies are wet or not
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I would follow the teachers lead.  My dd was a late trainer (after age 4) and she has delays as well.  We let her choose whether to use potty or a diaper for bathroom needs and within 2 weeks she was trained w/ no accidents.  She only peed on carpet if she was upset which she then needed to clean up as a natural consequence.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM

He should be able to clean up his own mess and to rinse out his underwear and put it in the laundry.  I agree don't make a big deal about it.  He'll decide on his own time. :)

la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Bump!
LindaClement
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

It is ordinary for learning to go in a spiral, circling around from 'just starting to explore' to 'seem to have a pretty good handle on it' back to 'what? I know nothing about that at all' and on to 'total mastery.'

When people get in the way of the period of time when the new learning is being incorporated into bigger spaces in the brain, they interfere with it, provoke resistance and, often, push back the time to mastery by months or even years.

Best to let things run the way they naturally do. 

You'll see it again in his reading, things like balancing on a bike and driving.

I think the teacher is right, but not because it's a 'control' thing, but because pushing it will make it a control thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)