Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age did naps stop? Long, sorry :-/

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

What age did your kiddo's stop taking naps? My DS is 2 1/2 and it he absolutely will not take a nap during the daytime at a regular time. By the time he's sleepy enough for a nap, it's way too late in the day. Sometimes if we're home all day we can skip nap and get him in bed by about 8:30 pm or 9:00 pm, however if he's super tired he will go lay down somewhere at around 5 or 6 in the evening and there is no keeping him awake once he's that tired, though on days when we're home we do try to skip naps. If he gets more than about a half hour of sleep, it's like he's recharged and awake with no end in sight, Sometimes it takes until 1am to get him to wind back down and finally go to sleep. He will not lay down in his bed and go to sleep on his own, we have tried this, we've tried putting him in bed, reading and singing for him, then leaving him to fall asleep on his own. He will relentlessly get up and continue to get up. We've tried just putting him back in bed and walking out....We did this several nights and he will do it until 3 am, Not sure how much later because it finally got to a point where we were both too exhausted to keep getting up so we just laid with him until he fell asleep. This started when we moved him from crib to toddler bed. When he was in a crib until about 20 months, he never had any problem falling asleep on his own, never cried or fussed, he would ocassionally lay there and talk to himself until he fell asleep. Around that same time though he began having night terrors. He cannot open his door by himself so we leave it cracked open at night so that if he needs to get out of his room and to us he can. I've tried putting him in his bed, turning off the lights and closing the door. He gets up and realizes he can't open the door and freaks out, not typical tantrums which he rarely has, but Loud terrified shrieks and beats on the door to get us to open, then when we finally do go and open it he clings on to us and shakes like something has terrified him. If he skips his nap, I can get him to lay down and stay down on his own, but if he gets a nap there's no getting him to go to sleep until he's ready. I understand I'm the parent and I can reprimand him, but I have always had trouble sleeping at night for as long as I can remember, so I do know sometimes it can't be helped. We're trying to wean out the naps so he will sleep well at night, but a lot of times he is in the car late afternoon because his sister has Tae Kwon Do during tha time, I am working and Their dad usually takes her, and he is usually with them and gets a nap then. He's never been abused in any way, I'm pro spanking, but it's very rare that we use it as discipline, only in matters of a dangerous situation.  In general he's a happy kid, loving, sweet kid. He's almost always laughing and smiling, very energetic, eats healthy, doesn't get a lot of sugar or any caffeine. Not a typical two year old, rarely throws fits and tantrums, and is generally extremely well behaved. He doesn't even get whiny or cranky when he's tired, he gets silly and giggly. He gets plenty of time with both his dad and I, we both work from home for the same company (yes a legit company, we are both higher up, so have the option to work from home.) Besides just leaving him in his room with the door closed and lights out, because it breaks my heart to hear him shriek like he's absolutely terrified of something, what can I do to help him understand that it's time for bed? I know from my own insomnia that you can't make someone sleep if they aren't ready to, not even a kid. Something's gotta give though.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dont.blink
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM

My kids both stopped taking naps at about 1 1/2 - 2 years of age. They just started refusing. Then about 2 1/2 they started being unable to sleep around 12 am then be up about 3... every night. I took them to sleep doctors, regular doctors, everything, I heard it all. Do whatever it takes to keep them awake all day after they wake up in the morning, then put them to bed at the same time everynight, didn't work. Try putting them to bed earlier, didn't work. try later naps and later bedtimes. Didn't work. Then I found out that a friend of mine was having cose to the same problem with her youngest. They ended up being told to try melatonin, and after talking to the doctor we tried it too. Worked like a charm

Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
You have two options.
1 is keep him from sleeping. If he's getting tired talk loudly, make sure he does not fall asleep.
2 is try to move the naps to earlier. Make him lay down after lunch. Tell him he doesn't have to sleep but he has to lay down. This could involve watching a movie if you were okay with it.
Also does he have a night light?
thaoneshya
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM
pha my daughter was so young it was prob before she even turned 2 and if she did fall asleep and take a nap it was because we were on a long drive. Then I would pull in my driveway sometimes and just lock the doors and lay back the seat and enjoy lol proud mommy here
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I've thought about melatonin because I use it myself sometimes, but from everything I've read it hasn't been tested and approved for children yet. I have very vivid dreams when I use it, with DS already having night terrors and nightmares, I'm afraid that may make it worse. What age did you start trying it with yours?

Quoting dont.blink:

My kids both stopped taking naps at about 1 1/2 - 2 years of age. They just started refusing. Then about 2 1/2 they started being unable to sleep around 12 am then be up about 3... every night. I took them to sleep doctors, regular doctors, everything, I heard it all. Do whatever it takes to keep them awake all day after they wake up in the morning, then put them to bed at the same time everynight, didn't work. Try putting them to bed earlier, didn't work. try later naps and later bedtimes. Didn't work. Then I found out that a friend of mine was having cose to the same problem with her youngest. They ended up being told to try melatonin, and after talking to the doctor we tried it too. Worked like a charm

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I've tried after lunch lying down, he very rarely falls asleep. He won't sit still for a movie, we don't limit tv here, it's on all day during the day here. I know that sounds awful, but he doesn't sit and stare at it all day, he may stop and watch for a few minutes at a time if something catches his attention but mostly he just listens to it,a nd as a result doesn't just sit in front of it like a zombie, and he doesn't mind having it off during times it needs to be off. He's developed quite the imagination and vocabulary because of it. Only kid friendly shows of course though. He does have a night light that stays on all the time. 

Quoting Retrokitty:

You have two options.
1 is keep him from sleeping. If he's getting tired talk loudly, make sure he does not fall asleep.
2 is try to move the naps to earlier. Make him lay down after lunch. Tell him he doesn't have to sleep but he has to lay down. This could involve watching a movie if you were okay with it.
Also does he have a night light?

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Haha that's pretty much DS too, if we're at home all day he won't nap, but if we drive anywhere he's out cold.

Quoting thaoneshya:

pha my daughter was so young it was prob before she even turned 2 and if she did fall asleep and take a nap it was because we were on a long drive. Then I would pull in my driveway sometimes and just lock the doors and lay back the seat and enjoy lol proud mommy here

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
2 1/2 and my other one 4 1/2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

DS is in preschool and they take naps... but he wasnt taking them at home from when he was like a year and a half until he was 2 and a half... hes now 3, and taking them again!! but its at school...

dont.blink
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I started it when my oldest was 5 and my youngest 4. We only do 1mg, and it helps. My daught has had night terrors since she was 3. According to the sleep doctor I took her to about it, night terrors are usually caused by sleep deprivation. Once I was able to get her sleeping more than a few hours a night, most of the night terrors went away and now she only has them every couple of months or so. another thing that i've found that helps her is to just keep the light on. I know it can be hell on the electric bill, but it helps her sleep all night. Trust me she knows when it's turned off and she is awake and screaming within 10 minutes of it turned off. I tried the night light but that only made it worse (i think due to the weird shapes shadows take with a night light)

Quoting aurora.dove:

I've thought about melatonin because I use it myself sometimes, but from everything I've read it hasn't been tested and approved for children yet. I have very vivid dreams when I use it, with DS already having night terrors and nightmares, I'm afraid that may make it worse. What age did you start trying it with yours?

Quoting dont.blink:

snowangel1979
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I've had a wide range between 4 children.
One was 5 when he quit napping, another was 1. The one that quit at 1 would go to bed at like 6:30.

DD is the same age as your son and she's off and on with naps.

What I do/did was at 12:30 was quite time. They don't have to go to sleep but "moms off the clock" and they have to do a quite actively in bed. If they were tired they fall asleep.

My DS was the same if he fell asleep late he would be up untill 1am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)