Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy tips for tying her hood

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM
  • 25 Replies
Hi there,

For health reasons, my 4 y/o needs to keep her head covered in the cooler months.  The problem is, she takes everything off, and eventually loses it.  Hats, headbands, earmuffs...all disappear within days of purchase.  Her hood was the next best thing, since that's attached to her jacket and if she takes it off we just put it back on again.  Except she always took it off and we would just keep chasing her to put it back on.  Until this month!  

We found one of the old-fashioned windbreakers with a hood that ties, the kind they had when I was a little kid.  You know, nylon shell, cotton lining, strings under the chin and around the waist hem.  It's really cute...lavendar with embroidered butterflies and a lace ruffle around the edge of the hood.  I thought this would be great!  For the first time yesterday, I tied her hood during a church picnic at a state park.  She didn't really react to it at first, until 10 minutes later when she tried to take it off and of course it wouldn't budge.  Then she came crying to me that her hood was "stuck" and I politely but firmly explained it was stuck on purpose, to keep her safe.  I managed to distract her until dinnertime, when I untied her so she could eat without cords under her chin.

But when dinner was finished and I started to tighten up her hood again, she threw one of the biggest temper tantrums I have ever seen!  Eventually I told her she could play again once she was wearing her hood, and that meant wearing it tied.  She sat on the picnic bench and pouted for a little while but eventually came around.  We have another function this afternoon, and if it's cool like yesterday, I will tie her hood again.

But I can't keep going through this every time I need to tie her hood.  Any advice from the peanut gallery?  How do you convince your kiddo to let you tie it?  Or what did your parents do when you were a kid?

Thanks for your advice!!  :-)

Liz
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Just be consistent, Momma! She will throw fits for a little while, but she will get over it. Or, pick her up and pull her out of the situation completely when she starts throwing a fit. (If you don't want your hood, we have to go home where we can be inside) Yes, it may mean you have to leave but if you do it once and she really wants to be there, my guess is she won't do it again. Good luck!
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Time out for the temper tantrum. Be consistant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara170
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I am wondering how cold it is and if this hood thing is nessesary or a mom thing? 

notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

is this a new thing she has to do?

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I never had this issue with mine - they loved hats, hoods, earmuffs, etc. I'd say be firm and consistent, telling her she needs to wear her hood and if she flips out, give her a timeout like the others suggested. Will she keep a hat or earmuffs or the wide fleece headband style ear covers on?

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Wait till older. Can't get them to wear a coat when it is freezing let alone a hat. Certainly do have to pick your battles wisely later on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elisu98
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

To answer a couple all in one reply...

- The hood is for when it's windy or misty.  Is it a mom thing?  Probably.  But is it a mom thing because I think she needs it?  Probably that, also.

- Yes, this is a new thing she has to do.  She has worn hats/earmuffs/fleece/hoods before but this is the first time I have ever TIED her hood.

- No, she doesn't keep anything else on, either.  Anything removable (hats, earmuffs, etc.) just get lost.  That's why we switched to hoods, because it can't get lost.  But we spend all day chasing her around putting her hood back on.  At least when I tie it, it puts me in control and she's in nice and snug until I'm ready for her to take her hood off.

Mainly she fusses when I tighten her cords and for the first 5 minutes after.  I tie it snug enough that wind can't get in her hood, and that she can't just pull her hood off still tied.  I also tie a double bow under her chin so that she can't just untie it herself.  Once she's been in it for awhile, she totally forgets about it.  But man, the look she gives me after I've pulled it tight and am putting on the bow under her chin??  I think I need to sleep with one eye open!!

I think she doesn't like the restraint, doesn't like that she can't take her hood off whenever she wants (which is why I love it!!).  Will she get used to it as I keep tying it, do you think?  Anything else I can do to buy her cooperation now?  Also, how cruel am I if I don't untie her hood at snack time...just because that's one less time I have to fight over tying it back up again?  Does that make me a horrible person if she eats with her cords tied?

We are going hiking to a local waterfall after naptime, so I will have the chance to try again.  Hope you're all enjoying Sunday!!

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My 3.5 year old will always wear things more willingly if I let her pick it out at the store. Maybe let her pick her own hats out?

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this
My advice...let go of it. She'll be fine not wearing it. (If as you've said its just a mommy thing) she's not comfy and you're trying to hard to have control.
ash929
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Whatever you train her to think is normal, will be her normal.  Tie her hood like it's no big deal.  Don't react, don't get upset, don't think twice about it.  You don't have to untie her when she eats, once she gets used to that feeling it will seem normal to her.  Besides, just like you say, it will only lead to another fight when you go to tie her back up again.

If I got feisty I had to put my hands in my pockets while Mom tied my hood.  I also hated the sound the cord made as my hood got tighter...hard to describe, but sort of a scraping scratching sound.  We hummed a song while Mom tied...it distracted me from the noise and also kept my mouth closed so she could make it tight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured