Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bringing a child back to school after they get their flu shot

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 47 Replies

Do you think it would be ok to bring my daughter back to school after getting her flu shot? I wanted to bring her after school/work but they are not open then so I'll have to take her on my lunch break and then bring her back to school. I don't really want to though because I don't know if she'll experience any of the immediate side effects that were listed: soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given, hoarseness, sore, red or itchy eyes, cough, fever, aches, dizziness, headache, itching or fatigue. I wonder if I should just bring her home after her appointment but I don't want her to miss school. What do you ladies think?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

bring her home...if she does experience a side effect, wouldn't  you want to be there?

gcstar42
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Has she had the flu shot before? If so has she had any of the above reactions? If she has never reacted then I would probably let her go back to school. If she has reacted then I would keep her home. Personally we do not worry about flu shots. My kids have had them before but more often they have not had them. The only time one of my kids actually got the flu was actually one of the years when they did get the flu shot.

Allie_kat1
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't get it done in the first place.

But if you insist, at least bring her home to rest after. Any side effects she gets she shouldn't have to try to suffer through at school. Plus then her classmates won't be exposed to her shedding the vaccine as soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serenity1613
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

How has she done in the past after the shot? All kids react different to it. While yes, I'd rather her be home if she starts not feeling well, I'd probably just wait and see how she reacts to it. That's just me though.

Angelbaby08
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

She is 5 1/2 and she got the flu shot for the first time last year. She didn't have any negative reactions/side effects. She's had the flu once when she was a year old and it wasn't bad.

Quoting gcstar42:

Has she had the flu shot before? If so has she had any of the above reactions? If she has never reacted then I would probably let her go back to school. If she has reacted then I would keep her home. Personally we do not worry about flu shots. My kids have had them before but more often they have not had them. The only time one of my kids actually got the flu was actually one of the years when they did get the flu shot.

kmugs
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

bring her home.

If (g-d forbid) she does have a reaction, you want to be there.

I saw a woman last week who felt a little woozy after a flu shot.

Go home, crash on the coach, etc.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Should be fine. Why not?? Most have no side effects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I would take her back to school but let them know she just got a shot so if they notice anything strange to give you a call. 

sara170
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I don't do vaccines but there is the option of the nasal spray.

Angelbaby08
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I forgot about that! I hope her doctor offers that option. Last year was the first time she had the flu vaccine and she got a shot but she does well with shots so it wasn't bad. Of course, she'd prefer the nasal spray though.

Quoting sara170:

I don't do vaccines but there is the option of the nasal spray.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)