Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when your child refuses to wear a coat, but it is cold!

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 125 Replies

Do you let him discover that he can be uncomfortable? Do you insist on his wearing the coat?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

It depends on a few factors.  If he is already sick then I insist he wear a coat because I can't chance him getting sicker.  If it is extrememly cold(we often had -20 or -30 degrees where we lived) then I insist.  If on the other hand it is just cold and he isn't sick then often I tell him he has to take his coat with him just in case but don't force him to wear it.  I figure if he gets cold enough he will put it on, lol. 

britmichele
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM
6 moms liked this
I am the mom. He will wear it if I say he will
gcstar42
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is just a little cool but not really cold then I will not make them wear it. If it is actually really cold though, I will make them wear it.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is cold I will insist my son wear his coat. Honestly, it is never really an argument.

bex55
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I let them be cold, but will usually carry the coat with me if I can for when they decide they want to wear it. If I can't carry it and they get cold, oh well, remember that next time I tell you it's cold I guess.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

depends on the age of the child.....for some reason, it seems older children tolerate cold weather better, and dont mind not wearing a coat.  i know when it got cold enough, like 10degrees,  my teens would bundle up--they didn't want to be cold...they'd rather be warmer waiting for the bus, than 'cool' because they're stupid to go without a coat

VickyJoJo
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I never made my DD wear a coat if she did not want to.  I just told her that I do not want to hear her complaining that she is cold.  That would usually lead to her just bringing it with her and later putting it on.  

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Up until about age 3, I force the coats on them.  After that, if they fight me, they can walk outside and freeze (unless we are having temps in the single digits or below zero - that's DANGEROUS cold).  They figure it out pretty quick. 

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I suppose it depends on who's in charge.  If you are, he wears the coat.  If he is, then ask him.  Kids need rules.  You're not his friend, you're his parent.  Sometimes he won't like what you say or do, but he'll respect you.  If you let him run the show, it'll be very difficult when the teen years hit!

Momma_1985
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I have 4 boys and they insist they are warm blooded and do not get cold....so I often say fine don't take one but I do not want to hear it if you are freezing, most of the time they will go back inside and get one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured