Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's going on?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM
  • 3 Replies
I'm going to call the docs in a little bit, but wondering if anyone might have an idea what is going on.

My DS is 6. He was put on Prednisone 2 days ago because of severe throat clearing and sniffling. They thought it was GERD at first and we did prednisone for a week. It lessened, but didn't go away, so we are doing both now. 2 days ago, we started the prednisone, (His allergist prescribed it) and yesterday he woke with a sore throat. Last night, he started sleepwalking and tried to go outside (never done that before), and then he started with diarrhea. He had stools 4 times last night and didn't make it to the bathroom in time any of those times. Extreme sore throat, but no fever or any other symptoms. Does it sound like he's sick or a reaction to the meds?
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
emmy526
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I know prednisone can reverse your whole immune system making a person more vulnerable to illness out there...you say you are doing both meds--what is the other one?  Kind of sounds like he picked up another virus in the process..as far as the sleep walking, i know prednisone has cuased me to do some very irrational things, too, and have homicidal and suicidal thoughts, and it has brought out agression in my mild mannered children.

Saharra
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM
The first one we tried for the week was Prilosec. I've got too many meds in my head to figure it all out. They've been trying a lot with him, including adult doses of Zyrtec, nasonex, singular, dulera, benedryl, Miralax, then the Prilosec and now prednisone. He's off everything except the kids dose of the Zyrtec, Nasonex, Dulera, and the prednisone. I hate pumping him with stuff, but he's been really sick. We also started allergy shots earlier this week, but I know those won't take effect for 5-6 months.

Quoting emmy526:

I know prednisone can reverse your whole immune system making a person more vulnerable to illness out there...you say you are doing both meds--what is the other one?  Kind of sounds like he picked up another virus in the process..as far as the sleep walking, i know prednisone has cuased me to do some very irrational things, too, and have homicidal and suicidal thoughts, and it has brought out agression in my mild mannered children.

emmy526
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:18 AM

my sis JUST started Dulera too, and it gave her a sore throat...nasonex also gave me and my daughter sore throats.  Sounds almost like he's had too much, too fast, and too soon, and his body is reacting to it all. 

Quoting Saharra:

The first one we tried for the week was Prilosec. I've got too many meds in my head to figure it all out. They've been trying a lot with him, including adult doses of Zyrtec, nasonex, singular, dulera, benedryl, Miralax, then the Prilosec and now prednisone. He's off everything except the kids dose of the Zyrtec, Nasonex, Dulera, and the prednisone. I hate pumping him with stuff, but he's been really sick. We also started allergy shots earlier this week, but I know those won't take effect for 5-6 months.

Quoting emmy526:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)