Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Bored" 8 year old - HELP!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi!!! I have a MAJOR problem that I'm unsure how to handle. I have an 8 year old who was an only child until he was 6. I now also have a 2 year old, a 10 month old and another on the way. My 8 year old is ALWAYS "bored". My husband and I try very hard to not let him sit around in front of the TV or video games all day. He has limited daily video game time and, for the most part, unless it's storming, we make him go outside during the day on weekends. Typically, his 2 year old little brother wants to follow (which I don't mind - we live on a very rural dirt road with @3 acres of cleared yard surrounded by the other 5 acres of our property and 5 protective dogs.) In any case, my 8 year old never seems to want to do anything other than exactly what he's not supposed to be doing at that moment and it's mind boggling. We have tried endless ways to try and accomodate his "boredome" but to no avail...he's not a defiant child, he's very well mannered and helpful...I'm just not sure what to do with him anymore, it has become a DAILY battle.

Any suggestions are very welcome!! Thanks in advance!

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
How often does he have friends over or visit friends???
How about board games when the 2 yo is napping on weekends. Dad and son alone time on weekends too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJwlz
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Babies don't nap simultaniously, unfortunatly.....unfortunate for a few different reasons! haha Friends over - not so much. Partly because he never asks to have friends over. Partly because we are so rural and his nearest friend is MILES away (whole county goes to the same school) No kids his age on our road and nearest cousin is 45 minute drive. Father and son time would work except my husband works 10 hour days all week so weekends are his work at home time. On top of that, we have been in the process of moving for the last couple months and just barely got settled into our new place. Still a lot to do around the house and not a lot that I can do (6 months pregnant), so it's left for my husband to do on the weekend. That's only a temporary issue but even when my husband tries to involve him in the things he does on the weekends but he is always disinterested OR can't handle it.....8 year old is a "brain", he is good at math, wants to read, etc...not so much a hands on, outside-get-dirty-and-build-things type. When my husband or I throw the ball for the dogs, my 8 year old chases it too but still can't catch one to save his life. You get the idea.....  o_0

MamaJwlz
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Honestly, I think the biggest issue is just that he never wants to do anything except what he's not supposed to be doing. I.e. - If we tell him he can't have video game time until after dinner, he's "bored" all day long until then because it's all he can think about. If we tell him he can't ride his bike on the trail until the 2 year old naps, everything else in the whole world is boring until the 2 year old goes to nap because riding the trail is the only thing he can think about. It's like, once he wraps his head around something, he's hell bent on it.
snowangel1979
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you have things for him to do outside. Like a bike, playhouse, or sandbox. Does he have chores.

I totally understand what your going threw. We live in a rural area and DS doesn't have a lot of friends because the "townies" don't really want to come out here. There's no children in our area. My 3 children are all 7 years apart. DS used to get into a lot of trouble, he's also a "loophole" child because I didn't tell him exactly word for word that he wasn't allowed to climb on the roof with the cat, he would be up there. LOL.
DH built DS a big playhouse with a slide and swing set, he has a sand hill/box.

IDK bored is not allowed to be said at my house. If you have time to whine, you have time to shine. (clean) Funny thing is my children can always find something to do since I started that rule. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I always told my kids when they said they were bored that I could find something they could do. They usually found something to do.

I also told them how lucjy they were because when you are bored your creativity can kick in.

MamaJwlz
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thanks snowangel! Yeah, I think i'll take that page from your book, it just might work for me! Yes, he has PLENTY to do - outside balls, bike, play sets (like sword and shield) wagons, nerf guns, etc. Probably next weekend, my husband is going to repair an old tree house thats out back and put up a rope swing. He's also in the process of building a zip line (the back of our cleared area is at an incline, so it's perfect!)....We do these things....even during the summer put up an above ground pool and got him a sprinkler toy for the water hose, STILL "bored". My husband is just about wore out trying to accomodate him....I think I'm going to try the "If you have time to whine, you have time to shine!" thing...I like that...I think my husband will like it too! haha Thanks again!

Momofmenagerie
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

http://www.somewhatsimple.com/the-mom-im-bored-jar/

I though this was a cool idea. I'm sorry I can't make it " clicky" ( not that good)

But you can put anything from chores to reading in a specific book/ pick a new book, finger painting for X minutes...., fun and not so fun. Trick is, they MUST do what they pick.

This way you've not given the ideas and allowed him to choose " no".

" The Jar has spoken" haha! Like the wheel of fortune or something.
strictmomhere
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Make playdates with kids his age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJwlz
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

AWESOME "I'm bored" jar idea!!! Thanks for the idea!

JZB
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Put him to work
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)