Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

peanut allergy - am i overreacting?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 49 Replies

I have a child with a peanut allergy.

coming in contact with peanuts or the oil from it could cause him to go into anaphylactic shock. he was prescribed an epipen but who wants to stop breathing? and kids have died even though they had epipens.

needless to say, another child of mine is always trying to sneak nut things into the house.

she's a teenager. i've given her a green light before, and told her she had to eat the candy in her room, throw out the wrapper, and wash her hands and lips really well after. i also buy her that kind of candy myself if just the two of us go shopping.

problem is, she is irresponsible. she's left a peanut butter knife on the counter, or dropped it in the sink where her brother's sippy cup is...i kept trying to be fair, but she wasn't following the rules that keep her brother safe...so i said no more peanut butter anything.

my dh didn't used to check lables on foods. so for the first year i kept throwing the junkfood he bought straight into the trash can. my oldest child would whine and complain.

so now here's the thing. a few days ago my oldest said out of the blue, 'Mom, you better not buy crap candy for Halloween. Get Snickers or something good."

i told her, "no i don't want that in the house. i will get good candy. it just can't have nuts."

she complained some more. then dropped it. then tried to get me to buy it in the store. i refused.

finally the other day, she went to the store with her father. My dh had two big bags of snickers (with peanuts of course) and kit-kat (made in a facility with nuts). He also had a jar of Jiffy.

I was livid. I threw them wrapped in the shopping bag into a child-proofed cabinet and left the room.

these foods could kill my son.

My husband and daughter both said the candy is for kids that come to the door.

i said, hey, if your baby cousin comes and you offer him one, your brothers are gonna want it too, and also, if he kisses your brother goodbye, it could land him in the hospital....and of course, other scenarios from just having it in the house.

I can't beleive my daughter was so manipulative to get her father to buy this after twice i said no, and she already knew it was against my rules. i more especially can't believe my husband being a dumb-ass to endanger his youngest child just to indulge the older bratty one!

Would you be pissed?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
staci1103
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I would be furious. Luckily we dont eat junk food but if my other kids did they wouldnt be allowed to have it in the house period. And ur dh is a grown man whom Im assuming knows the dangers of bringing such things into the home so shame on him. As for halloween i would not be giving oit any kind of candy at all. They make fruit snacks, juice boxes, pretzels sticks. Theres plenty of other options out there
axy
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Yes i would be furious!! Thats just ignorant imo
buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

i was thinking party sized play dough. a neighbor of mine did that once. but of course, that suggestion and pretty much all of your suggestions would count as "crap" to my 13 year old prima dona. lol. sorry. it would. and i'm about ready not to care what she wants me to hand out at this point after what she did

Quoting staci1103:

I would be furious. Luckily we dont eat junk food but if my other kids did they wouldnt be allowed to have it in the house period. And ur dh is a grown man whom Im assuming knows the dangers of bringing such things into the home so shame on him. As for halloween i would not be giving oit any kind of candy at all. They make fruit snacks, juice boxes, pretzels sticks. Theres plenty of other options out there

cendrillon
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Yes I would be totally pissed. They are peanuts, they are like you have said, poison.  

Sit them both down, yup dad and daughter and read them the riot act. Go totally ape on them like the mum on Malcom in the Middle.  Be concise with your words and tell them that under no circumstances will you allow either of them to put the life of your child at risk.  If they complain you do the table bang and pull rank.  (Ive used this once its very effective).  Bang you fist down on the table and shout at them - I am the Mother. This is not your decision.  Do you understand?? 

This is life and death and warrants some pretty serious direction here!

Good luck

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I would be beyond angry at both my husband and my daughter, what part of life and death issue do they not understand?

staci1103
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting buttersworth:

i was thinking party sized play dough. a neighbor of mine did that once. but of course, that suggestion and pretty much all of your suggestions would count as "crap" to my 13 year old prima dona. lol. sorry. it would. and i'm about ready not to care what she wants me to hand out at this point after what she did

Quoting staci1103:I would be furious. Luckily we dont eat junk food but if my other kids did they wouldnt be allowed to have it in the house period. And ur dh is a grown man whom Im assuming knows the dangers of bringing such things into the home so shame on him. As for halloween i would not be giving oit any kind of candy at all. They make fruit snacks, juice boxes, pretzels sticks. Theres plenty of other options out there

Play dough is a great idea! My kids have gotten little things of bubbles as well. And do what u feel is best and dont worry about what she thinks. Teenagers suck!!! Lol

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM

i was so mad, i crushed the bag of candy by accident as i stuffed it in the cabinet. i didn't throw it outbecause the little ones woudl see it there. and the worst part was, one of the dynamically stupid duo (dh and dd) left a bag in the refrigerator on top and out front of everything. i couldn't beleive it.

there's a backstory to this too. there was a reason i beleived my youngest son had this allergy. so i stopped feeding peanut butter to the middle child and tried nothaving it in the house. my oldest would tease me and complain that i was overreacting and crazy up until the day he had his second skin test. (his first was inconclusive because he was so young). she said she was going to make fun of me when i come home with him and he's not allergic. Well guess what, he was allergic of course, and i came home with that epipen. So now she continues to chide me anyway? Knowing he does have this?

Like someone else just said...teenagers suck.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I would be beyond angry at both my husband and my daughter, what part of life and death issue do they not understand?

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I would be furious too.  Does she not care about her brother?  Does he not care about his son?  

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
6 moms liked this
My old neighbor had highly allergic kids. She never banned it. Said they had to learn to live with it because she couldn't put her kids in a bubble. They are all college age or older now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Yes, I would be pissed.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured