Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Let sleeping babies lie, what are your thoughts on this?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM
  • 49 Replies

There's an old adage about letting sleeping dogs lie- it's because if the dog is sleeping it won't bite you.

The saying has been reworded to say: Let sleeping babies lie.

Some parents schedule carefully around the child's naps. They can't come at 2 because that's the baby's naptime, and so forth. Other parents pick up the baby and go on with their activities.

What is your policy, and why?  :)

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AAngel282
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on the child. My nieces could nap anytime without a problem. My daughter on the other hand no. If she missed her nap or took one late she wouldn't sleep well at night for two days. So I scheduled around her naps.
Moonskytiger
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I was always told not to even wake them for feedings, except with my oldest he had such low weight gain and took 2 hrs to finish 2 oz we had to wake him to feed him

Momniscient
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM
3 moms liked this
My policy is life happens. My kiddo is well adapted and I plan around life, not sleep.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It depended on the day for us.  In newborn phase, if dd was tired she would sleep through anything.  We live in an apartment so completely silence is never possible.  There were many naps in the car or at various family gatherings.

nurse1997
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Depends on the kid and if u walk on egg shells around a baby it make's it harder to carry on with work,etc !

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine slept wherever. No issues. Hell my youngest slept in the stroller when we lived in Italy on cobblestone roads. Never wake a sleeping baby either.
I always had tv on or noise when mine napped. Having things quiet is not good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this
We go with the flow. Baby can and will nap wherever and whenever she is tired. Plus, with two older kids, scheduling naps isn't really feasible.
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends.  As newborns in a carrier, they slep anywhere.  By about six months old until 2 ish I was pretty strict about nap time.  I loved the time as much as the kids needed it.  From 2-4 my kids still napped, but I was not quite as strict on the time, but I still tried to get home for them to nap.

cherylw993
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 3.5 years now, but when she was a baby we went with the flow. I am not good with schedules and she was and still is very adaptable.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM
While I agree to have noise during naps I was a routined napper.

I woke a kid sleeping too late into the evening. But I wouldn't just to run to the store.

Idk, no rule is hard and fast for me. Everything depends. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)