Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Thinking about getting an IUD

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
  • 7 Replies
Originally SO and I had planned on doing NFP, but I haven't gotten my cycle back yet so we've just been using condoms. I'm still scared of getting pregnant though lol, we love our son but we are not going to be ready for another baby for a loooong time! I've been thinking a lot lately about getting an IUD for backup, just to feel safe. I was thinking about getting the copper one but I've always had a sensitivity to metals with jewelry, I can only wear jewelry for sensitive skin so I'm afraid that I wouldn't react well to that. But it's the only hormone free one and I hate the idea of having extra hormones in my body, especially because I'm breastfeeding. What are your ladies thoughts/opinions?
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:16 AM
I never had copper but mirena was awful
BellaBlue92
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Why, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard lots of horror stories about them :/ that's why I haven't gotten one. I just REALLY don't want to get pregnant though! Lol condoms aren't 100% effective (well no birth control is, but condoms and a second form of birth control should be lol)

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:20 AM

i have the Paragard (non hormonal IUD) and i love it.  hormones mess up up bad.  

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:31 AM
I got my period 2x a month sometimes or it would last 2 weeks. I was always crampy. I gained weight, broke out. I got recurring infections

Quoting BellaBlue92:

Why, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard lots of horror stories about them :/ that's why I haven't gotten one. I just REALLY don't want to get pregnant though! Lol condoms aren't 100% effective (well no birth control is, but condoms and a second form of birth control should be lol)

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I had the Mirena for years and loved it, I still had a period every month but there were no ill side effects. And, I didn't get pregnant. It was an option for me after my son, since it's supposed to be safe for breastfeeding, but my husband and I agreed that we want another child sooner than later. That makes a five-year birth control method pretty unnecessary.

woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I love my mirena.   No periods at all anymore.

-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Copper occurs naturally in the body (its an essential mineral in food and drinking water) so you'd probably know by now if you are actually allergic but if you're concerned that you might be sensitive to it you could get an allergy test first.

I have paraguard btw and I love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)