Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Out of Control Toddlers

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have two beautiful toddlers, my son is 3 and my daughter is 2, that I would do just about anything for. They are energetic and curious little things that have the attitude of a teenager. I love them deeply and usually they are the most wonderful people to be around. But in the last 3 months things seem to have changed a lot with them.

Due to being laid off from my job we had to move back in with my parents because my husbands pay could not pay all the bills, and since then things have been changing with my toddlers. They have become extremely out of control. I am not saying that in exageration. It has gotten to the point that I am embaressed to take them out in public because of the way that they behave, and at home. Well their behavior is enough to send me to tears.

They are constantly fighting with one another, breaking things, yelling, screaming. Basically doing whatever they want whenever they want. My son is really bad about walking up to me out of the blue and smacking me in the face, pinching me, or biting me. Just today I was cleaning my room and he walked in and threw a hard plastic toy at my head.

My daughter is in the mind set that she can do whatever she wants and no matter how many times I tell her no, or take it away from her she goes back and gets it. Then their language. Oh my god! They have a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush!

I am at wits end, with no idea what to do. When I try to take control back, to correct them and set in place some sort of structure my husband goes all psycho on me about it. He says that they are simply toddlers, and that sending them to their room, putting them in time out, or taking things from them is not right, When I try to talk to them about their behavior my husban tells me that I am being mean. When in reality I am not being mean. I am just trying to raise toddlers that respect the people around them.

I am worried that by the time they are 16 they are going to be so out of control that there is nothing anyone can do to help them. At this point I have no solutions on how to get them to behave, and would really like some advice.

What would you do in a situation like ths?

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Consistant discipline. At this age you have to get control. Not them. Your dh needs to butt out or get with the program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

You guys gotta get on the same page.  If you don't discipline will just be confusing to them at this age.  Anyone can offer up tips on getting them to behave but if you discipline and he doesn't it will never work because they will know that daddy lets them do it.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Sit your dh down and have a frank, heart-to-heart, about what is going on with the kids, and him. You both need to agree on discipline or the kids will run all over BOTH of you, and anyone else around them.

Kids NEED discipline. They need boundaries to be set, and held to. 

CONSISTENTLY.

sonnyswoman75
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
You are totally correct in discliplining your child. Its better now than later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I don't do time out for my son but I still discipline him. They need structure. That doesn't mean you have to send them to their room. Taking things away can work depending on what they do. If they did something you related then it makes sense, if it's something else it doesn't. Toddlers often act on impulse.

Maybe look up gentle parenting techniques. That way it's not nessisarily harsh like your husband thinks but it's still discipline.
lilymad0201
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

i think that with you being laid-off, you are starting to see all the negitives and you feel over-whelmed. Your toddlers did not learn this, but it has only intesified as times got harder. i think they can sense something is not right and they are starting to act out. I would try to keep them busy with something easy and fun that they like to do. Channel their negitive energy into positive energy. I also think that the way you are handling it i right, but you should also try asking them what the problem is.Who knows maybe they will have a reason and it will be easier for you to tame the behavior

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM
First u have to get your hubby on the same page then Discipline your kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured