Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hello, I'm a psychologist and new to the forum, feel free to ask me anything!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello all you wonderful moms! I work with children and adolescents, and am a mother as well. My daughter is in college now and engaged to be married in the Spring, so I'm hoping that before too many years pass I'll have some grandchildren to play with!

If you have any questions you'd like to ask, I'd be happy to give you my opinion or advise. I love children and am always happy on whatever message board or chat I'm on to work with parents as well as individuals within the scope of my specialty.

Best of luck to you all and I hope you all have a very Happy Halloween!

Beth Bowling

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Replies (191-199):
lancet98
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

No, that isn't what my post was about.  You are just twisting things around.   I really do not trust people who do that.

And the folksy, motherly advice you give here, sounds far more like a Dear Abby than a psychologist.   In fact all you're doing is stating your opinion...you aren't giving people the tools to work out their own problems based on their own values, which is the job of the counselor, therapist or in some cases, psychologist.

But you haven't come here as many have, offering advice as an equal or friend.   You have attempted to put yourself above all and become a higher authority, by claiming to have such advanced training.

It says very clearly that you have to have a PhD(DOCTORATE DEGREE)  in most states IN ORDER TO BE LICENSED AND THEREBY TO PRACTICE PSYCHOLOGY.

THAT IS VERY CLEAR.

In being a volunteer advocate I have met with many psychologists over the years in different states.   ALL had a license, and ALL were PhD's, and that degree is required in most states for people to get their license.

Do you have a PhD in psychology, and are you thereby qualified to practice psychology in most states in the US?

Many people do not.   Many people have bachelor's in psychology, or masters...or even, multiple master's degrees.  But that isn't the same as having the qualifications to practice psychology in most states in the USA.

These people can get social worker's licenses, perform counseling, bill themselves as a 'therapist', in most states, but they CANNOT PRACTICE PSYCHOLOGY.  

Have you got a social worker's license, therapist, or something like that?

No?   Then you're no different from anyone else here, and offering advice as a friend or neighbor would, not as some unassailable authority.

In fact, MANY people here have bachelor's in psychology, or even masters.   That still doesn't qualify them to be an authority that people put on a higher level.

Practicing psychology, whether on a bb or in person, is SERIOUS BUSINESS.  

For one thing it is a highly billable activity, for another it involves in most states the freedom to prescribe rather powerful medications, for another it often means administering tests that can have a profound effect on a person's life or on the psychiatric treatment he or she receives, and for another it affects people's lives profoundly.

Quoting BethBowling: Please read the PDF here, www.wvpsychbd.org/licensure%20Info%202010.pdf That should make it completely clear how I can practice with both of my graduate degrees. I don't like arguing on forums. I find that no matter how clear your information is, if someone wants to argue or 'troll' they simply will. Lancet, I wish you well in all of your googling, but your post is about someone getting a PhD to practice. I may one day get my doctorate, but for now I am very happy with the work I do. I visit this site once in a blue moon, as I am busy. I was asked by a member to post and give general advice. I feel I've done my best in that endeavor, but I am happy to turn it over to you or anyone else that has the inclination. To be accused of mental illness or fraud is serious to me. I don't feel the need to parlay with those intent on name-calling. Have a great day.
Quoting lancet98:

(note the quote that I bolded in red that says that MOST STATES REQUIRE A DOCTORAL DEGREE FOR LICSENSING  - since you stated that your state does not require a PhD, you're going to be met with skepticism as you won't reveal what state you're from, provide your name and licensing info, etc).

When William Greenhouse, PhD, finished his clinical psychology graduate courses, his practica, dissertation, internship and postdoc, he still faced one more hurdle in his doctoral journey - getting licensed. And, as Greenhouse and many other recent grads have discovered, that's not always easy to do.....

lisahappymom
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Thank you so much for all your posts, lancet98!  Your information is 100% accurate, and it's clear that "Beth Bowling" took our inquiries in a completely hostile, defensive manner, which says a lot about her. 

You are right that to be a therapist, a person has to have a doctoral degree and be licensed as a psychologist.  It seems that Beth is likely a licensed Masters level therapist, but not a licensed psychologist.  In some cases stating that you are a psychologist before you actually are one is a serious enough ethical violation to cause the board in that state to permanently not allow the person to later become a psychologist.

Thanks again for your clarifications (and diplomacy).     :-)

Quoting lancet98:

No, that isn't what my post was about.  You are just twisting things around.   I really do not trust people who do that.

And the folksy, motherly advice you give here, sounds far more like a Dear Abby than a psychologist.   In fact all you're doing is stating your opinion...you aren't giving people the tools to work out their own problems based on their own values, which is the job of the counselor, therapist or in some cases, psychologist.

But you haven't come here as many have, offering advice as an equal or friend.   You have attempted to put yourself above all and become a higher authority, by claiming to have such advanced training.

It says very clearly that you have to have a PhD(DOCTORATE DEGREE)  in most states IN ORDER TO BE LICENSED AND THEREBY TO PRACTICE PSYCHOLOGY.

THAT IS VERY CLEAR.

In being a volunteer advocate I have met with many psychologists over the years in different states.   ALL had a license, and ALL were PhD's, and that degree is required in most states for people to get their license.

Do you have a PhD in psychology, and are you thereby qualified to practice psychology in most states in the US?

Many people do not.   Many people have bachelor's in psychology, or masters...or even, multiple master's degrees.  But that isn't the same as having the qualifications to practice psychology in most states in the USA.

These people can get social worker's licenses, perform counseling, bill themselves as a 'therapist', in most states, but they CANNOT PRACTICE PSYCHOLOGY.  

No?   Then you're no different from anyone else here, and offering advice as a friend or neighbor would, not as some unassailable authority.

In fact, MANY people here have bachelor's in psychology, or even masters.   That still doesn't qualify them to be an authority that people put on a higher level.

For one thing it is a highly billable activity, for another it involves in most states the freedom to prescribe rather powerful medications, for another it often means administering tests that can have a profound effect on a person's life or on the psychiatric treatment he or she receives, and for another it affects people's lives profoundly.

Quoting BethBowling: Please read the PDF here, www.wvpsychbd.org/licensure%20Info%202010.pdf That should make it completely clear how I can practice with both of my graduate degrees. I don't like arguing on forums. I find that no matter how clear your information is, if someone wants to argue or 'troll' they simply will. Lancet, I wish you well in all of your googling, but your post is about someone getting a PhD to practice. I may one day get my doctorate, but for now I am very happy with the work I do. I visit this site once in a blue moon, as I am busy. I was asked by a member to post and give general advice. I feel I've done my best in that endeavor, but I am happy to turn it over to you or anyone else that has the inclination. To be accused of mental illness or fraud is serious to me. I don't feel the need to parlay with those intent on name-calling. Have a great day.
Quoting lancet98:

(note the quote that I bolded in red that says that MOST STATES REQUIRE A DOCTORAL DEGREE FOR LICSENSING  - since you stated that your state does not require a PhD, you're going to be met with skepticism as you won't reveal what state you're from, provide your name and licensing info, etc).

When William Greenhouse, PhD, finished his clinical psychology graduate courses, his practica, dissertation, internship and postdoc, he still faced one more hurdle in his doctoral journey - getting licensed. And, as Greenhouse and many other recent grads have discovered, that's not always easy to do.....

lisahappymom
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Hi Beth, you do seem quite defensive, and frankly, insulting which was not warranted by my inquiry. 

Yes, you do need a doctoral degree to be licensed as a psychologist (and to sit for the exam to do so).  Before I was licensed as a psychologist, I was also licensed at the Masters level, and I took exams for that too.  Just because you took an exam does not mean that you are a psychologist.

Why don't you just scan in a copy of your license with your name blocked out?  Or show a copy of your state's licensing regulations that state what you are claiming.

Quoting BethBowling: Lol, you don't have my full name, I am not giving that out. And I am licensed fully, you do NOT need a PhD to be a licensed psychologist. You take boards after finishing Master's level studies. The fact you don't know such a BASIC fact makes me think you are just a troll. I don't feed trolls.
Quoting lisahappymom:

Yes, but Beth what about concerns about stating you are a psychologist without having a doctorate and being licensed as a psychologist.  I am licensed as a psychologist (in two states), and they both specify very clearly that it is an ethical violation to call one's self a psychologist unless they are specifically licensed as one, which can only occur after earning a doctorate.  For example, West Virginia does not have your name listed in their list of licensed psychologists.

Are you a licensed therapist at the Master's level?  If so, West Virginia doesn't have your name on their list of licensed professional counselors either.

Quoting BethBowling:

Hi Maureen!

That is an excellent question! No, I am not concerned, as my practice often uses online sessions with single patients as well as groups to counsel patients. The laws regarding online advice, such as this, are covered pretty thoroughly, and I don't prescribe medications and if the person is having a difficult issue I will contact the person privately and have a discussion and help them find a counselor in their area. I don't go outside my comfort zone, I only give advice on matters in which I have experience and training. Just as if someone on a message board asked you a question regarding a family matter, you would be fine in advising them not to say, spank a child, or to speak to their school counselor about bullying or fighting in school, the advice I give is the same as I would give if they were in my office.

I don't kid myself that everyone who seeks advice is always telling me everything, but then I have people who see me who 'smooth over' the truth to my face. So I take from their questions what I can and I do my best to ask the pertinent questions and give direct answers. I have also shown a couple of questions that I've been asked to my fellow professionals to ensure that my answers were on point. I do have the approval of my associates to do this. And if I think someone is in danger, I will do my best to see they get immediate help.

Thank you for asking! Happy New Year!

Beth

Quoting maureen813: Beth, I am also a licensed independent clinical social worker, not a psychologist but are you not worried or concerned about your professional standing and license by providing advice on a public Internet site?

lisahappymom
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Beth, I do not give out my real name, because I am on the website as a mom, not as licensed psychologist.

Again, your insult and tone are surprising and not at all professional given the benign nature of my inquiry. 

Quoting BethBowling: LOL, troll much? And where are you licensed and your full name???
Quoting lisahappymom:

Thank you for your post!  Below is what I asked Beth.  I am interested in her reply.

Yes, but Beth what about concerns about stating you are a psychologist without having a doctorate and being licensed as a psychologist.  I am licensed as a psychologist (in two states), and they both specify very clearly that it is an ethical violation to call one's self a psychologist unless they are specifically licensed as one, which can only occur after earning a doctorate.  For example, West Virginia does not have your name listed in their list of licensed psychologists.

Are you a licensed therapist at the Master's level?  If so, West Virginia doesn't have your name on their list of licensed professional counselors either.

Quoting maureen813: Beth, I am also a licensed independent clinical social worker, not a psychologist but are you not worried or concerned about your professional standing and license by providing advice on a public Internet site?

BethBowling
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Ok, I've given up my spare time volunteering my services. Since this seems to bother you so much, as well as 'Lancet' you certainly don't have to visit this post or site.
Those who wish to contact me can do so personally. I have stated that I am not here to feed trolls, and you have offered no proof and only misinformation in order to argue. I'm not defensive, I have answered questions and I see that you are only interested in harassment.
Put YOUR LICENSE on here, then I'll take you seriously. Until then, you and Lancet can have fun bashing me and questioning my ability, education, and intentions.
Perhaps you need something to occupy your time, and you won't find me so interesting or be so hostile toward someone online.
Two licenses, but so much time to behave online like this? I'd say you're either unemployed or lying. You haven't offered proof of anything, after all!
Please have a good night and sleep well!

Quoting lisahappymom:

Beth, I do not give out my real name, because I am on the website as a mom, not as licensed psychologist.

Again, your insult and tone are surprising and not at all professional given the benign nature of my inquiry. 

Quoting BethBowling: LOL, troll much? And where are you licensed and your full name???

Quoting lisahappymom:

Thank you for your post!  Below is what I asked Beth.  I am interested in her reply.

Yes,
but Beth what about concerns about stating you are a psychologist
without having a doctorate and being licensed as a psychologist.  I am
licensed as a psychologist (in two states), and they both specify very
clearly that it is an ethical violation to call one's self a
psychologist unless they are specifically licensed as one, which can only occur after earning a doctorate. 
For example, West Virginia does not have your name listed in their list of licensed psychologists.

Are
you a licensed therapist at the Master's level?  If so, West Virginia
doesn't have your name on their list of licensed professional counselors
either.

BethBowling
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Ok, I've given up my spare time volunteering my services. Since this seems to bother you so much, as well as 'Lancet' you certainly don't have to visit this post or site.
Those who wish to contact me can do so personally. I have stated that I am not here to feed trolls, and you have offered no proof and only misinformation in order to argue. I'm not defensive, I have answered questions and I see that you are only interested in harassment.
Put YOUR LICENSE on here, then I'll take you seriously. Until then, you and Lancet can have fun bashing me and questioning my ability, education, and intentions.
Perhaps you need something to occupy your time, and you won't find me so interesting or be so hostile toward someone online.
Two licenses, but so much time to behave online like this? I'd say you're either unemployed or lying. You haven't offered proof of anything, after all!
Please have a good night and sleep well!

Quoting lisahappymom:

Quoting lisahappymom:

Yes,
but Beth what about concerns about stating you are a psychologist
without having a doctorate and being licensed as a psychologist.  I am
licensed as a psychologist (in two states), and they both specify very
clearly that it is an ethical violation to call one's self a
psychologist unless they are specifically licensed as one, which can only occur after earning a doctorate. 
For example, West Virginia does not have your name listed in their list of licensed psychologists.

Are
you a licensed therapist at the Master's level?  If so, West Virginia
doesn't have your name on their list of licensed professional counselors
either.

BethBowling
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Please read the document. I've stated my qualifications numerous times. I'm not sure why you don't understand it, but I don't teach English Comprehension.
You really are annoying with this. Don't think I'm qualified? Don't ask a question!

Quoting lancet98:

THAT IS VERY CLEAR.

Quoting BethBowling: Please read the PDF here, www.wvpsychbd.org/licensure%20Info%202010.pdf
That should make it completely clear how I can practice with both of my graduate degrees.

I don't like arguing on forums. I find that no matter how clear your information is, if someone wants to argue or 'troll' they simply will.
Lancet, I wish you well in all of your googling, but your post is about someone getting a PhD to practice. I may one day get my doctorate, but for now I am very happy with the work I do.
I visit this site once in a blue moon, as I am busy. I was asked by a member to post and give general advice. I feel I've done my best in that endeavor, but I am happy to turn it over to you or anyone else that has the inclination.
To be accused of mental illness or fraud is serious to me. I don't feel the need to parlay with those intent on name-calling.
Have a great day.

Quoting lancet98:

Babydoll2527
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Have you ever dealt with conduct disorder (childhood onset) and if so what is the typical prognosis you have encountered?
lisahappymom
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Inquiring about someone's stated qualitifications is not bashing.  However, insulting someone for doing so, which you have done repeatedly, is defensive (and unnecessary). 

Quoting BethBowling: Ok, I've given up my spare time volunteering my services. Since this seems to bother you so much, as well as 'Lancet' you certainly don't have to visit this post or site. Those who wish to contact me can do so personally. I have stated that I am not here to feed trolls, and you have offered no proof and only misinformation in order to argue. I'm not defensive, I have answered questions and I see that you are only interested in harassment. Put YOUR LICENSE on here, then I'll take you seriously. Until then, you and Lancet can have fun bashing me and questioning my ability, education, and intentions. Perhaps you need something to occupy your time, and you won't find me so interesting or be so hostile toward someone online. Two licenses, but so much time to behave online like this? I'd say you're either unemployed or lying. You haven't offered proof of anything, after all! Please have a good night and sleep well!
Quoting lisahappymom:

Quoting lisahappymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)