Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To breast Feed or not to that is the question?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello All, 

I'm new to the group, I have a question but I dont want any controvesary around it just personal experiece advise. I'm pregnant with my second child my frist child I did not breat feed and she had a hard time from birth drinking formula and digesting but she had health issues we where unaware of as  well  but now with my second child, I would like to try breastfeeding but the issue is this.. I have a huge sensory issues and very senstive breast already that even hubby can not touch the nipples pregnant or not as they hurt. I had a halo test and passed out due to the pain from the nipples being touched and sucction in the past. The other issues is I have a very bad case of OCD ( obsessive compulsive disorder ) I have been off my meds sense i found out i was pregant and the OCD is in VERY high gear im so aggitated and on egde. With my frist baby i had the baby blues im little concerned that when my second baby is born i will have baby blues as well as the OCD will continue to be the same or if not more intense. I will not take medicine if im breast feeding but if i dont breast feed ill be able to go back on my meds to help with the anxiety attacks of OCD. I'm very torn as to what to do or what would be best because i want  the best for my children and breastfeeing is much healthier for babies but at the same time i need to be okay and im unsure i can handle the breastfeeding or not. nor do i have a clue what ill be doing with breastfeeing as i never done it before. Any advise ? I'm a little hestitate to post this please respond with kindness please im really torn about this. Thanks so much.. 

Jesus wants to be accepted and love Just as all of you do. Open your hearts and let the Love flow thru your veins and give out love as if it where Candy- Amber Gordon

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tammi4
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Honestly, I feel it's a personal decision that only you can make. The baby will thrive either way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BethBowling
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM
2 moms liked this

As a therapist, I would advise you to stay in the care of your psychiatrist and psychologist. If you want to try to nurse, by all means do so, but you HAVE to be very aware of your emotional state and your husband or partner has to be on high alert as well because you may not be aware of small emotional changes that he may pick up on. Working together will keep you and your baby safer, but you absolutely have to be ready and willing to go back on your meds should the nursing be too much for you emotionally. I think it is noble for you to want to try, I know I loved nursing my daughter, and it is healthier for the baby and gives the child so many antibodies and great nutrition...but your mental health is paramount to your being a good mother to BOTH of your children, and formula is going to be fine nutritionally should you need to go back on your medication.

Talk to your healthcare providers, and should you need to, have someone stay with you during the first month or two of your child's life while you nurse until you feel more secure. Your mental health is more important than the choice between breast or bottle.

Much luck,

Beth

want10more
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:56 AM

i am ocd too. that being said, i would say try to breast feed a lil, give the baby the colustrum. if you are past that point, then formula is fine. no, it's not the BEST only mother's milk is the BEST, but it's more important for you to get back on your meds, for the baby's safety if nothing else. my own ocd is really just about lame. silly lil issues. if your ocd is much worse? and it sounds like it is? then FOR YOUR BABY'S SAKE, yes it's time to get back on meds. how many times do we see moms with mental issues snap and hurt their kids? you don't want to do that, you don't want to be 'that mom'. get good formula, and get back on your meds, so you as their momma is a WELL momma. and remember ocd is nothing worse than asthma or diabetes. you wheeze you take a puff, your sugar gets high you take a shot. and just the same an ocd mom needs her meds. no shame and no difference. sure mother's milk is best, but NOT when the momma is mentally stressed. weigh the pros w/ the cons, and you'll see what you must do. for your heath and theirs too! and don't you feel guilty, a bit. you are simply being a responsible mom, to go for the formula and at the same time, making sure you are able to be a good mom.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:27 AM
I think it's always a good idea to bf, within the limits of needed meds. Gl. :)
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:28 AM
I think it's always a good idea to bf, within the limits of needed meds. Gl. :)
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I personally never doubted I would breastfeed. For me...it is just something you do and it comes natural.  OF course...I don't have the medical problems you do. Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Welcome to the group!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quoting Tammi4:

Honestly, I feel it's a personal decision that only you can make. The baby will thrive either way.

RachelB414
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I breastfed, it did hurt at first but after abour 4 days your fine. Breastfeeding also fights PPD and baby blues. Of course you can still get thats and theres nothing wrong with it.

Just make sure you have a strong support team. Even if you only breastfeed for a week, better some then none for your baby. 

Formula is good too.

Good luck!

-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I may be off base here but I would actually talk to a lactation consultant about it.  They might be able to provide some insight or have some ideas for things that can help you.  Many pediatricians office's have them but if yours doesn't check with the hospital.  No matter what you decide know that it has to be the best thing for both you and baby.  If you're not happy baby won't be happy.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured