Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anniversary Ball?

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so my husband and I got married six months after we were engaged. We paid for pretty much everything but the dress. So it was rushed and not all that we wanted because we couldn't really afford much. Even though it was a beautiful night and was very special to us both, I want to do a ten year anniversary ball. Pretty much it will be fancy and everything a nice wedding reception would be...like a do over, but instead of our guests getting us gifts and all that, it'll be more for them to just come and dress up and have fun and help us celebrate ten years of marriage. We will be renewing our vows at ten years anyway because that's what I have always wanted, but I think it would just be fun. Would you go to something like this if invited?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

BUMP!

a_and_j_momma
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would
daydreamer3
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I would definitely go! What a great idea.

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

You should do what you and your husband want. You are the ones that know your family and friends the most and know what kind of reaction you will get.

Most people don't think as we do, and it could be because we have been married for so long. Please don't bash me for my opinions.

Personally, I think anniversary parties are always tacky. Well, unless it's a 50th (because that is just amazing!). I think anniversaries are for the couple. Everyone would feel as though they should bring a gift, even if it's stated not to and seriously, who else really cares how long my husband and I have been married? I don't think we deserve a ball because we have been happy together for a certain amount of years. I would much rather take the money and go on a vacation with just my husband.

We would never renew our vows, either. Our 1st ones are still good. They didn't expire and we have never broken them. It would be, to us, like the 1st time didn't mean anything, so we have to do it again.

I am always up for a party, don't get me wrong, but 1 wedding for the same couple is enough.

We are coming up on 22 years and we are saving for a major trip for our 25th. Just us.

I am NOT, in any way, saying what you are planning is wrong. It's just not something we would ever do. If we were all the same, what a boring world it would be. lol

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Yes, that sounds like a lot of fun!  When is your 10 year anniversary?  Ours is this coming February 14th. 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like a cute idea!

LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

You are totally entitled to your own opinion! And to a certain extent I agree. But this would be more because we didn't get to do it the way we wanted the first time around. And the vow renewal is something I have wanted to do for ten and 50 years since before I was even married. It just means a lot to me. But again, you have an opinion just like everyone else and you're right. This world would suck if we were all the same. Lol.

Quoting 1squishysmom:

You should do what you and your husband want. You are the ones that know your family and friends the most and know what kind of reaction you will get.

Most people don't think as we do, and it could be because we have been married for so long. Please don't bash me for my opinions.

Personally, I think anniversary parties are always tacky. Well, unless it's a 50th (because that is just amazing!). I think anniversaries are for the couple. Everyone would feel as though they should bring a gift, even if it's stated not to and seriously, who else really cares how long my husband and I have been married? I don't think we deserve a ball because we have been happy together for a certain amount of years. I would much rather take the money and go on a vacation with just my husband.

We would never renew our vows, either. Our 1st ones are still good. They didn't expire and we have never broken them. It would be, to us, like the 1st time didn't mean anything, so we have to do it again.

I am always up for a party, don't get me wrong, but 1 wedding for the same couple is enough.

We are coming up on 22 years and we are saving for a major trip for our 25th. Just us.

I am NOT, in any way, saying what you are planning is wrong. It's just not something we would ever do. If we were all the same, what a boring world it would be. lol

LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Well, ummm it's in nine years. We just celebrated our first. Lol! I'm an obsessive planner.But congrats to you and your hubby!! :)

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Yes, that sounds like a lot of fun!  When is your 10 year anniversary?  Ours is this coming February 14th. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

i think that sounds like a great idea!!  10 yrs is along time these days..lol

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on surviving the first year! That itself is an accomplishment.

I say do what you want, but keep in mind that in another decade, your desire for that "ideal" wedding may change completely.
I originally thought we would do a big party later, since we had a tiny wedding in Las Vegas...but already, just three years later, I think the idea is silly and a waste of time and money. That's me, though. My husband and I are married, and that's the part that matters.

In nine years, if you still want to throw a big party, go for it. Have fun! But please don't feel that you "missed out" on a fairytale, because you did not. You have your spouse and your spouse has you, and that is all that matters - the type of wedding you had does not define your marriage, the relationship between you and your spouse does. There are no bonus points for having the $25k reception and the impossible-to-book photographer.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Well, ummm it's in nine years. We just celebrated our first. Lol! I'm an obsessive planner.But congrats to you and your hubby!! :)

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured