Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Sick. Wanted to bring him anyway

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 32 Replies
DS sick with croup cough. We were invited trick r treating with my cousin and her daughter. At her daughter's birthday party she allowed her brother to bring his sick 1 yr old to an indoor event. I said we'd still join them for trick or treat if she didn't mind and keep the children from each other. She said no. It irked me. Thoughts ?
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Cool air... The croup.... No, not because of her... But for your own child. It doesn't matter why she said no. Your child needs to be home.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM

i would not be exposing my child to cold damp air for trick or treating when they have croup.  That is just me.   I would ask his doctor if that would be ok or make it worse.

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Actually yea I'm not making light of his illness but the Dr. says the cold air is great for the lungs. He has had this cough before - last year twice and this year one other time. If its damp or freezing we may skip it but the cold air is good. I was more looking for input on my cousin's double standard

Quoting frndlyfn:

i would not be exposing my child to cold damp air for trick or treating when they have croup.  That is just me.   I would ask his doctor if that would be ok or make it worse.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Cool air is great for croup but I wouldn't take a miserable kid trick or treating.
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
It matters to me. I think she's being selectively cautious

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Cool air... The croup.... No, not because of her... But for your own child. It doesn't matter why she said no. Your child needs to be home.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Yeah I do not understand it unless she thought indoor activities were fine whereas outdoors is not but for me  the outdoors has more room for "germs"to escape than indoors  LOL.   If that makes any sense.    People are weird is all i know.

Quoting sarahfaith123:

Actually yea I'm not making light of his illness but the Dr. says the cold air is great for the lungs. He has had this cough before - last year twice and this year one other time. If its damp or freezing we may skip it but the cold air is good. I was more looking for input on my cousin's double standard

Quoting frndlyfn:

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Totally - I've been having other problems with her anyway so that stuck out tod more than it ordinarily would have. Thnx

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yeah I do not understand it unless she thought indoor activities were fine whereas outdoors is not but for me  the outdoors has more room for "germs"to escape than indoors  LOL.   If that makes any sense.    People are weird is all i know.

Quoting sarahfaith123:

Quoting frndlyfn:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My doctor told me on Halloween that cold air was good for croup. That if my dd felt ok it would be good for her. Guess what? She never coughed once when trick or treating because the cool air was good for her cough.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sara170
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

dr costume with a mask or similar and take him, you don't have to go with them, have fun with your son, if he is too sick to have fun watch a movie instead

budgie1117
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM
What kind of illness did her brother's kid have at the party? You said you've been through the croup with your child before. The croup is AWFUL! If the brother's kid had a cold or something, that's much different than the croup. The croup is downright scary at times. I personally wouldn't take my kid trick or treating with the croup. How old is your kid?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)