Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hi ladies. I am a new mom, my daughter is 7 weeks old today. I have scheduled a mirena insertion on 11/11. I've read about it online and Im kind of worried now, lol.

Do any of you have it? What is your opinion on it? What does it do to your periods? I dont normally have heavy periods, but when Im not on the pill I have bad cramping and migranes. Will those symptoms come back on Mirena, or will they stay away?

Thanks!!

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ricanmami88
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Now your scaring me lol I want a long term BC
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I've had it for almost two years now. I got it when dd2 was two months old. My periods range from light to very heavy. At first my cycles were every other week. So one week I had a period one week I didn't. That went on almost 6-9 months. Then it went on longer. I'd get it every 2-3 weeks.

I now get it almost every month so a little more normal, but a bit heavy. No cramps.
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I got mine a year after my DS was born. Insurance didn't cover it, so I paid for it. Insertion was easy. Periods just about stopped. I didn't like the strings. That's just me. After six months, it fell out. I also gained a TON of weight. I never got it put back in because I was so upset.
ladybugchar
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I had one for about a year. Had light spotting for the first few months. Then no period or anything. I did notice around ovulation time I would start feeling lots of pregnancy symptoms.

I loved it though. We took it out to try for another baby.
AliKatAK47
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I would never, ever recommend Mirena to anyone else after what happened to me. 

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I had it for three years, almost four. I still got a period while I was on it, but it wasn't that bad. I had it removed and was pregnant six months later. If the pill helps with your symptoms, Mirena should do so as well.

Remember that when you read about stuff online, the bad stuff about a product will be written about extensively. That doesn't mean those are common issues.

KikiB85
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I loved mine. I got it in 4mo after my daughter was born and kept.it in the full 5years. No weight gain, no periods after like 6mos no crazy side effects. I plan to get It again after this baby.
Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I've had three. The first one I loved, I kept it for five years and had it removed. I had no problem getting pregnant after that, but I lost the baby. I'm PRETTY sure it wasn't related, but not positive. I got pregnant again a little over a year later, and that baby is fine.

After having that baby, I got another one put in. About a month later it FELL out. I got another one put back in and hated everything about it. I bled for three months straight, it felt like I had a knife in my gut, I had a lot of very large and very painful cysts, terrible mood swings, head and body aches. Hated it. I got it removed and I'm never doing that again.

landomaker
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I had it for one year about five years ago (before I had any children). I had no side effects. My periods stopped completely. I had it removed and five months later, conceived my first son. I am now pregnant with my third so it didn't effect my fertility at all. It's not for everyone, just like all birth control. My insertion was painful and I nearly passed out. It took 3 nurses and two doctors to get it in, but that was because I had not given birth yet. Good luck!
mrsbarefootsoul
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I've had it for about 2 years, and had it previously for about the same. I am actually currently looking for a new form of BC, because of all the negative feedback I'm hearing about it recently. I have ZERO periods. I still have all of the symptoms, just no bleeding. Which makes me nervous. I end up taking like 18 pregnancy tests a month because I worry that I might be the 1% that gets pregnant, and wouldn't know because I never have a period, LOL! I also have a lot of back pain, that I contribute to Mirena as well. The good news is, I have not gotten pregnant on it (yet) Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured