Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister is having a baby and my daughter is asking lot of ? plz help

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

So my sister is having a baby and my daughter want me to go get one. I told her i cant do that but she is asking lot of ? she want to know how it all works but she is only 7 so I told her a bird brings the baby to you does anyone have any ideas of  what to say when she ask again thank you.

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Go look for a book about growing bodies from the library.  There are quite a few to explain the birth of a baby at a level for this age.  Have you not had any type of anatomy or body talk with her?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I agree. Costco has a great anatomy book my girls love. They are 5&7.

Last year I had a VERY detailed talk about how babies develop and how they come out. Thankfully it was enough for her NOT to ask me how they got in there lol. I'm not ready for that part.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Go look for a book about growing bodies from the library.  There are quite a few to explain the birth of a baby at a level for this age.  Have you not had any type of anatomy or body talk with her?

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

A side note, even though I have talked to my 7 yr old about it , with her imagination she came up with her own story that involves birds and cabbage patches  LOL.

Pam_8787
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I agree a book would be good. My boys know that babies are best when planned and when everyone in the family talks about it. And that the baby grows in my belly. That is all they know. They ask for a sister all the time. My husband and I always tell them that we need more time to plan for her. 

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's weird that you told your seven year old babies come from birds. My dd isn't that old yet, but she knows that daddy made me pregnant and that her and her brother came out of me and so will the baby that's in my tummy now. She's three so she has no idea how I got pregnant other than daddy did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Please dont lie to your daughter about this.  She will learn to never trust you to tell her the truth about anything and will stop coming to you for answers.   If you're having trouble with words, the library or bookstore will have age appropriate books.  

LoveMyBoyK
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM
I have to agree with others that telling a 7 year old that birds bring babies does not seem like a good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

You tell her, "I'm sorry honey, but I wasn't sure how to answer your question, that's why i said a bird brings the baby.  Why don't we go to the library and get some books that we can look at together, and see if that can't help answer some of your questions about babies.  Sometimes, mommies don't always have the answer to things right away, or it's hard to explain to children--so, let's go to the library and see what we can find".

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

What are you so afraid of? It's an uncomfortable talk for some people, yes...I get that. But this is part of parenting, people! This is part of teaching them about the world! Don't LIE to your kids about sex! They need to know about this stuff. They're being exposed to it at extremely early ages now and from everywhere. They see it on TV and in movies. They hear it in music, they hear it from their friends (and it usually isn't accurate) and every time they turn around some dumb assed celebrity is shaking her stupid ass all over the internet and TV! Do you think you're preserving their innocence by telling them a friggin BIRD brought them into your loving arms? You're not. You're filing their minds with garbage and teaching them that YOUR WORD can't be trusted!! Talk to them sincerely and honestly about sex, your expectations as far as their behavior goes and what you want from them when they get older. They are GOING to hear about it...wouldn't you rather they heard it from you?

macbudsmom
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM
You didnt really ... Did you? Why are you so uncomfortable with the human body and its natural abilities?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured