Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I just want to effing sleep already!

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 20 Replies

I have no idea what's going on, and being pregnant there's not much I can safely take.  I haven't had more than 3 hours of sleep a night for the past month and a half.  I am literally at my wits end with this.  I cut out all caffeine (with the exception of my prescription for headaches, which I'm careful to ONLY take in the morning), and I backed off on a lot of my sugar intake (although, to be honest, that one doesn't seem to make a difference either way).  

At the moment, I'm not in more pain than I can handle, and although baby is moving a lot, he's not bothering me at all.  I can get comfortable, and I can even relax, but God help me, I CAN'T EFFING SLEEP!  I've tried warm baths, hot showers with the shower head on massage to help my slight back pain (and a massage usually relaxes me fairly well), Benadryl, and Unisom (which, lucky me, just makes me fucking WIRED).  I don't eat within an hour and a half of going to bed, and I don't drink much water int hat time, either.  I keep my room pretty cool, because if I get too hot, not only will I not be able to sleep, but I'll most likely throw up as well. :(

The medications i mentioned above are the ONLY ones my doctor has said i can use, and I honestly don't know what else to try.  I've tried meditation, but by the time I'm relaxed and sleepy, I have to flipping pee, and the whole process begins again.  Does ANYONE know something else I can try SAFELY?  I'm seriously about to lose what's left of my sanity. :(

CafeMom Tickers

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I had mine removed many years ago and they have fiddled with my meds a few times over the years. When they had my meds too high, I couldn't fall asleep. I was tired as all heck, but couldn't go to sleep. I'd be up for hours just waiting to fall asleep. Once I actually got to sleep, I slept fine.

When I was pregnant, my levels were all over the place. I had my meds changed multiple times.

It's worth a shot. Hope you get some sleep Mama :)

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Actually, that may be the only thing I've never had checked, and my Grammie has major problems with hers.  If things don't change, I'll briong that up at my next doctor's visit.  I'm really glad you mentioned it.  Even if it's nothing, it's still something new to check, just in case. :)

Quoting StacyO722:

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I had mine removed many years ago and they have fiddled with my meds a few times over the years. When they had my meds too high, I couldn't fall asleep. I was tired as all heck, but couldn't go to sleep. I'd be up for hours just waiting to fall asleep. Once I actually got to sleep, I slept fine.

When I was pregnant, my levels were all over the place. I had my meds changed multiple times.

It's worth a shot. Hope you get some sleep Mama :)

CafeMom Tickers

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM

5: Try a Little Sugar

A chocolate chip cookie can act as a sedative.Image Credit: iStockphoto/Thinkstock

You should finish eating two or three hours before bedtime. However, that comforting nighttime snack ofmilk and cookies may be just what the doctor ordered to get you back in bed. Sugary foods eaten about 30 minutes before bedtime can actually act as a sedative, and you can wake up without the morning fuzziness that accompanies synthetic sleeping pills.

Honey has the same sedative effect as sugar and may get you to bed more quickly. Try adding 1 tablespoon honey to some decaffeinated herbal tea or even to your warm milk for a relaxing pre-sleep drink.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

6: Have a Bedtime Snack

Toast before bed can help your brain prepare for sleep.Image Credit: Publications International, Ltd.

High carbohydrate, low-protein bedtime snacks can make sleeping easier. Carbohydrate-rich foods like  toast tend to be easy on the tummy and can ease thebrain into blissful slumber.

Drinking a glass of milk, especially a glass of warm milk, before bedtime is an age-old treatment for sleeping troubles.  Some scientists believe it's the presence of tryptophan, a chemical that helps the brain ease into sleep mode, that does the trick. Whatever the reason, milk seems to help some people hit the sack more easily. And warm milk seems to be more effective at relaxing body and mind. However, if you wake frequently to urinate, avoid liquids for a few hours before bedtime. Other foods high on the tryptophan scale are cottage cheese, cashews, chicken, turkey, soybeans, and tuna

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Thank you for those suggestions....looks like I'll be baking cookie tomorrow, lol. :-)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Toast before bed can help your brain prepare for sleep.Image Credit: Publications International, Ltd.

High carbohydrate, low-protein bedtime snacks can make sleeping easier. Carbohydrate-rich foods like  toast tend to be easy on the tummy and can ease thebrain into blissful slumber.

Drinking a glass of milk, especially a glass of warm milk, before bedtime is an age-old treatment for sleeping troubles.  Some scientists believe it's the presence of tryptophan, a chemical that helps the brain ease into sleep mode, that does the trick. Whatever the reason, milk seems to help some people hit the sack more easily. And warm milk seems to be more effective at relaxing body and mind. However, if you wake frequently to urinate, avoid liquids for a few hours before bedtime. Other foods high on the tryptophan scale are cottage cheese, cashews, chicken, turkey, soybeans, and tuna

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Your welcome.  I know , even though i am not pregnant, I need a good snack before bed or i wake up in the middle of the night starving, tummy growling.

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Thank you for those suggestions....looks like I'll be baking cookie tomorrow, lol. :-)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Thus is true as well...and I HAVE been craving chocolate chip cookies. :-) Any excuse for those is good, whether it ends up helping or not, lol.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Your welcome.  I know , even though i am not pregnant, I need a good snack before bed or i wake up in the middle of the night starving, tummy growling.

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually will have cheese crackers or pb crackers/toast w/ milk or juice.

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Those sound good, too. I actually just finished a pb&j sandwich and some milk...thanks to the aforementioned stomach rumbling, lol. Note I'm going to ATTEMPT sleep again. Fingers crossed! :-)

Quoting frndlyfn:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I was just going to suggest that. Pb&J with milk is my go to before bed snack when I'm hungry or stressed at bedtime. I buy regular jelly and sugar free and usually use the sugar free before bed. I also drink my milk kind of warm, not heated up, just not cold.

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Those sound good, too. I actually just finished a pb&j sandwich and some milk...thanks to the aforementioned stomach rumbling, lol. Note I'm going to ATTEMPT sleep again. Fingers crossed! :-)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)