Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

In desperate need of LICE help!!!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 36 Replies

good evening ladies,

so i am completely desperate. i was getting my 5 year old showered and ready for bed and discovered she has  lice and nits galore. now i would be lying if i said this was our first time at the rodeo. i have no idea what to do, im at my wits end. I have literally tried everything: over the counter, prescription, mayonaise, manually hand picking everything out, the lice shield shampoo and spray from walgreens to keep them away. what have you experienced that has worked really good in not only getting rid of them but keeping them away?? PLEASE HELP!!!

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of_twingirl
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Bump, I have never had to deal with that. But I do use lice shield or whatever it is to stop it before we do get it.
Nmaldonado1229
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM

its a blessing that you havent. i have used the lice shield after i have completely cleaned her out but it doesnt seem to keep them at bay. glad its working for you though

mileysmom331
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Gasoline or kerosene I can't remember which my dad use to tell me that all the time cause I was blessed with lice as a child
comptonkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

cover her head in coconut oil

put a shower cap over it and have her sleep that way

in the morning, comb out as much as you can, use her fingers if you have to

have her take a shower , rinse with vinegar(use a spray bottle as the fumes BURN the eyes, even if you dont get any IN her eye)

and BLOW DRY her hair

then go back through with the comb and your fingers

you might have to do the whole process 2-3 times

once they are GONE

get some tea tree oil or lavendar essential oil and apply it at the base of the neck and near her ears...along the hair line, it repels them and keeps them from coming back

my girls got lice from a hotel room this summer, luckily i caught it when there was just the one big bug, but a TON of nits

the coconut oil smothers the bugs so they cant breathe(and its good for her hair to  boot)

the vinegar loosens the glue that holds the nits to her hair

the heat from the hair dryer kills the nits, lice and helps dissolve the glue as well

lisairv
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Put tea tree oil in your shampoo and also in a spray bottle. After you use lice shampoo and use the comb to get every single nit out, use the shampoo with tea tree oi and spray it on her hair everyday.

Also you can wrap her head in Saran Wrap for a couple minutes after using lice shampo.

lisairv
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Oh and make sure you use this on everyone in your house!

budgie1117
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
This!!

I'm convinced lice are straight from Hell. Sorry you're dealing with this! I know all too well how badly it sucks!

Quoting comptonkids:

cover her head in coconut oil

put a shower cap over it and have her sleep that way

in the morning, comb out as much as you can, use her fingers if you have to

have her take a shower , rinse with vinegar(use a spray bottle as the fumes BURN the eyes, even if you dont get any IN her eye)

and BLOW DRY her hair

then go back through with the comb and your fingers

you might have to do the whole process 2-3 times

once they are GONE

get some tea tree oil or lavendar essential oil and apply it at the base of the neck and near her ears...along the hair line, it repels them and keeps them from coming back

my girls got lice from a hotel room this summer, luckily i caught it when there was just the one big bug, but a TON of nits

the coconut oil smothers the bugs so they cant breathe(and its good for her hair to  boot)

the vinegar loosens the glue that holds the nits to her hair

the heat from the hair dryer kills the nits, lice and helps dissolve the glue as well

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM

also, stay away from the commercial stuff, i researched the best way to get rid of them, preferring NOT to use chemicals on my kiddos, and everything i read said that due to the over use of the chemicals...the lice have built resistance to them, which is why they dont seem to work

Nmaldonado1229
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • after you blow dry do you wet her hair to run the comb through. my issue with doing it dry is my daughter has very thick long curly hair and doing it dry will pull her hair out. and where can i find these oils at??
comptonkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

i didnt, my oldest had semi long, but also thick and wavy hair..HERS was a HUGE pita to do, it was down the middle of her back

the oils can be found at most health food stores(whole foods for example)

Quoting Nmaldonado1229:

• after you blow dry do you wet her hair to run the comb through. my issue with doing it dry is my daughter has very thick long curly hair and doing it dry will pull her hair out. and where can i find these oils at??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)