Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Come when called

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 21 Replies
How do I teach DD to come to her name? She always ignores me until I grab her hand. Sometimes she even smiles and runs in the opposite direction! She is 18m.
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Do you only call on her when she is in trouble? 

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Be sure to call her for good things.  Call her exactly as you would any other time, but give her an extra hug or tell her you love her or if it is snack time give her her snack. In fact, at snack time or meal time call her.  Don't treat her running away as a game, don't laugh when she does this. I'd actually turn away and ignore until she came as you asked.

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Instead of calling her name (I swear kids have ear plugs in when it comes to their names!) make it a game. Remember "Marco Polo?" That's what I do with my DS's. Anytime I yell MARCO! I ALWAYS hear POLO! It's always fun, we always get laughs, and I always know where my kids are ;)
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM
my oldest responded to her name and nick names so easily, but ds doesn't. As long as you're consistently using the kid's name and you know she understands, I'd just wait it out. Ds is 20 months and rarely even responds to his name unless he's playing. He'll smile at me and run away or smile while ignoring me. Dd was responding to her name around 12 months though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brenatens
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Quoting Mommy2justone:

Do you only call on her when she is in trouble? 

Normally when we are going somewhere, when I want her to stay close in a public place, when I want to give her something, and when she is in trouble.
jessesbride
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Say her name with love all the time!!!!

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I don't know my 19 month old will usually come to me.
They act on impulse control though. At that age don't bother calling them more than once, you go and get them.
It's like parents who sit there and keep telling their baby not to touch or do something. You don't keep telling them you go and physically pick them up.
She will learn in time.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

18 months and the world is fascinating to her.  She is easily distracted, low impulse control,etc.  I would just physically go get her thoughl.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

she's only 18 months....be patient and stay consistent.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Stay consistent. Use her name often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN