Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Helping toddler understand how to gently interact with pets

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

So I am struggling with helping my toddler interact with the family pets.  She is a very loving child but doesn't understand that she is scaring the dogs when she goes charging at them (shi tzu and lhaso) and then gets scared when they bark at her.  I constantly sit down with her and show her "nice petting" on their belly and she does this but then when I am feeding her baby sister or doing dishes etc.. she is back being a typical energized kiddo and it results in the barking which scares her and the cycle repeats.  Any suggestions or ideas that are different than sitting down with her constantly?  I would feel terrible putting the dogs out for months until she is older but I don't want them or her getting hurt.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

How old is she?  I would put her in time out when she is not able interact nicely.   I did alot of practice petting with dd on our own arms and then would hold our cat so she could learn nice petting.  DD is 7 now and the cat has taught her manners by warning nips to her hands.  I wonder if the tiptoe game would work with your dd.  It would slow her down or have her crawl towards them since they are smaller dogs.

mybabesrmyworld
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

She will be three in January.  I don't think she is intentionally being mean, she sees them run, so she wants to run with them so when she does she scares them by charging at them because she doesn't know the difference.  I never thought of the tip toe game- I will definitely be trying that.  Thx!!

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old is she?  I would put her in time out when she is not able interact nicely.   I did alot of practice petting with dd on our own arms and then would hold our cat so she could learn nice petting.  DD is 7 now and the cat has taught her manners by warning nips to her hands.  I wonder if the tiptoe game would work with your dd.  It would slow her down or have her crawl towards them since they are smaller dogs.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

yw.  That should help slow down her approach towards them.

Quoting mybabesrmyworld:

She will be three in January.  I don't think she is intentionally being mean, she sees them run, so she wants to run with them so when she does she scares them by charging at them because she doesn't know the difference.  I never thought of the tip toe game- I will definitely be trying that.  Thx!!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Brycensmommy85
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I would use time out if she continues to run at them after your corrected her she is old enough to listen to you. I had to explain to my son animals are like people and they feel pain and get scared just like we do. He was being too rough with out kitten so I explained she can't cry like he can but he is hurting her. Suddenly he felt very bad and started crying himself, now he is gentle and if he gets to crazy the cat is big enough now to give him a nip or scratch. I also had to go throught he don't run at dogs talk which is hard even now, he knows he has to ask to pet a dog and not to jump or run at dogs because they could get scared and bite him. Maybe explain the dogs are barking because they can't talk and she is scaring them whe she runs at them just as their barking scares her.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I would also use time out if she isn't playing nice with them.  I also would have them in a different room then she is if possible if you are busy doing something else. 

slapdashmom
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM

She's almost 3. She knows better. I agree with the above poster - time out or whatever other consequence you'd usually give for her misbehaving/not listening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN