Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Night time fussiness

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi, I am a new mom and my daughter is 20 days old. She is absolutely amazing, but goes through a few hours each night of being extremely fussy and my self confidence is so low I second guess myself when trying to calm her and it causes such anxiety. I am also breastfeeding on demand during the day and my husband gives formula at night to help me sleep since I am having trouble napping when she does during the day. She also tends to cluster feed for 3-4 hours at times which can completely drain me, both physically and emotionally. I hate to say it, but, for me, breastfeeding has not been the bonding experience many say it should be. Not sure if I can continue with the limited breastfeeding we have been doing but it's so important to my husband that I would feel like a disappointment if I stopped. My husband has been wonderful, but he is a full time firefighter who has 24 hour shifts. I am very nervous thinking about the nights he will be working and the family who has been helping us during these first few weeks are no longer available, leaving me on my own. Just looking for some guidance and advice from moms who may have been here before. Thank you
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cafe Steph
by Group Admin on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It's hard when they're newborns and they need so much from you. I think the moms on the Breastfeeding Support group may also have some help for you:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The formula is going to kill your supply.  You need to nurse through the night. It is exhausting-as a mother of two children and nursing my 11 month old right now- I understand.  She is probably fussy because the formula is upsetting her tummy, cluster feeding is normal, and if she wasn't fusssy I would be concerned.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Just for future reference:  Supplementing kils supplies.  IF you're changing 1 diaper per day of life and then at one week changing 6 diapers a day then your supply was fine.  There is no reason to supplement if all these things are happening.  

Quoting Kmom636:

Hey girl!!

I know exactly where you are coming from. The first 6 weeks to 2 months are extremely hard. I a single mom of a 3 month old but when I brought him home I was freakin out! Breast feeding required a shield for me and supplementing because I wasn't producing enough milk. After 8 straight days of nothing but breast feed I got fed up and just did formula all the way. I recommend using Enfamil baby formula because it has been around for year and highly reliable. I also recommend Tommee Tippee bottles because their nipples are the closest your going to get to being just like a breast.

I also recommend that you get in the habit of functioning on two hrs of sleep. Every time your baby crys just take a deep breath and say a little prayer for patience and then tend to your baby.

At the we hrs of the morning when your feeding your baby talk to them and tell them how tired you are and how much you love them and then give them alittle pep talk about how that early morning non sense is not allowed to last forever. And say it in a joking manner. It brings a little humor to the situation.

After a long night tell yourself that you are going to get one non baby thing done that day and that you are not going to let caring for your baby be a chore. If they have a clean diaper an are fed it is ok to let them cry. Feed every two hours BUT if your baby is sleeping let them sleep. Feed when your baby wakes up. It is ok to do that and you will feel guilty about that decision at first but in the end you will be grateful later.

Another thing, invest in soothie pacifiers. After a feeding put your baby to bed with one in it's mouth. It's a life savor, TRUST ME!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I totally agree! I think the moms in the Breastfeeding Moms group would have a lot of advice for you!

Quoting Cafe Steph:

It's hard when they're newborns and they need so much from you. I think the moms on the Breastfeeding Support group may also have some help for you:

newbieann
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

If breastfeeding isn't working out for you, then stop. Don't feel disappointed. It is suppose to be a bonding experience, but if you are dreading it, then it's not worth it.

And I understand how you feel. My little one started have crying fits for 30 min to 2 hours all of a sudden. Place you little one in her crib and walk away and take deep breaths for 5 mintues. 

A lot of moms go through what you are going through. Just remember that some days will be amazing, but others will be bad. 

I bet you're a great mom.

Edenpeden
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM
The formula might not be helping, and maybe she wants the breast and is upset about it. a kit of babies are fussy at night though. I agree, the breast feeding group has great advice.
sandy201282
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 6:33 AM

the first few weeks are always the hardest, esp first time around...hang in there, i stopped after three weeks w my first because it got to be too much and my 2nd i swore id stick with it and i did, the first 3 weeks were still hard as hell but it got alot easier after a month! Start pumping after you feed her, it will help with your supply. I got to the point I could pump 8 oz out of each breast. It will be better, soon it will be easier than bottles as long as you and baby dont have any issues. Also try running a fan in ur room while you nap, it will help drowned out any noise she makes while hubs is caring for her.

lpm583
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I definitely appreciate it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN