Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Smoking in the car with kids should not be illegal

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 368 Replies
31 moms liked this

Okay, I am making a post based on another post I saw on here stating that smoking in the car with kids should be illegal.. While I agree 100% that smoking around your children is a poor choice, we should not cry to the government to make this illegal, it should be up to the parent to make these choices for them selves. You start begging the government to get involved in our lives then it tends to go overboard very quickly, and sooner or later the government will be telling you what to eat, what to drink, where to work, etc. This is encroaching on our civil liberties. We are adults and the coice is ours. My husband smokes, but NEVER in the car, or around our kids. You do realize that the government started taxing tobacco to make money off of it, now they are trying to BAN it everywhere. What are they going to do when everyone is no longer smoking, and they no longer have this income from taxes of this? How are they going to fund their liberal agenda?

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM
61 moms liked this

I disagree. Normally I'm all for letting everyone making their own stupid mistakes, but in this case it seems obvious adults aren't making the right decisions. Someone has to speak up for the children and help. I remember growing up and my friend's parents would smoke in the car. I would cough and couldn't handle it. They would say that it was going out the window and shouldn't bother me, but I just can't handle the smoke. This is one time I think its ok for the government to step in.. not to mess with civil liberties, but to protect the children.

outtamymynd
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
16 moms liked this
Well if people would make the right decision on their own, we wouldn't have to have laws such as this. It's kinda of like the seatbelt law. It is 100 % for the safety of all occupants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Edenpeden
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree, give the government an each and they take a mile. Or however it goes haha
Annie_21
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
12 moms liked this

That is how the government gets you hooked and wanting their help "Its for your safety", "its for your own good" etc. You do realize that Hitler did this in Nazi Germany claiming that it was for "the safety" of the people, or its for your OWN good. That is how Hitler got so much support and was able to go as far as he did is because he got the PEOPLE of Germany behind him. Its all psychological, they make you feel sorry and then they infringe more laws that will eventually take away all YOUR rights!

chasinrainbows
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
31 moms liked this
Sorry but you're a worthless P.O.S. if you think parents should be allowed to smoke in the car with children because their rights are more important than an innocent child that has NO CHOICE. My mother was/is a chain smoker. I WISH the government had stepped in way back then and prevented her from smoking in the car and our home.

It is illegal to smoke in a restaurant in my state because non-smokers have the right to eat without cigarette smoke in their face but you think it's okay for a child to be forced to breathe it in because they have no rights since they are just children. Well that speaks volumes about YOU.

Btw, I requested the court to restrict my ex from smoking in the car, his home, or allowing our children to be in a "smoking environment" and guess what? The judge court ordered it! His lawyer fought it but the judge agreed that children should not be in a smoking environment. I thought my ex had more sense than to do it anyway because I have never allowed smoking around our kids but his smoker wife convinced him it was okay. So glad a judge disagreed.
Toothfairymom13
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM
9 moms liked this

In california it is illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under the age of 18

chasinrainbows
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM
7 moms liked this
If there weren't a seatbelt law then the same dumbass parents that think it's okay to smoke in the car with their children would also hold them in their lap instead of you know....a car seat. Honestly you don't come across as intelligent in the least bit.

Quoting Annie_21:

That is how the government gets you hooked and wanting their help "Its for your safety", "its for your own good" etc. You do realize that Hitler did this in Nazi Germany claiming that it was for "the safety" of the people, or its for your OWN good. That is how Hitler got so much support and was able to go as far as he did is because he got the PEOPLE of Germany behind him. Its all psychological, they make you feel sorry and then they infringe more laws that will eventually take away all YOUR rights!

momto3B
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I am not a fan of the nanny state either, but if a law is required to keep stupid, selfish parents from smoking in their car with kids then so be it. It is a filthy and disgusting habit that has been proven to destroy health. 

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This would make sense if the law was for people not to smoke in the car at all, but this is for the safety of kids who can't make that choice on their own. There are tons of laws like this that protect children because adults are too stupid to do it on their own.

Quoting Annie_21:

Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
5 moms liked this

I agree with this. 
My parents smoked in the car and the house with me right there. They would crack the windows because I would about gag in the car and then say it should no longer bother me. I had a LOT of health issues growing up from the smoke. Within a year of moving out of their house, my health was a ton better!
Kids can't stop their parents from ruining their health and bodies with cigarettes. If the parent is dumb enough to smoke around them, then someone needs to be smart enough to point out that it isn't just harmful to their own bodies, but those around them as well. Namely their own children.
I don't care if someone wants to smoke. That is their choice. But don't do that to the kiddos. It isn't fair to them. 

Quoting victoriaherring:

I disagree. Normally I'm all for letting everyone making their own stupid mistakes, but in this case it seems obvious adults aren't making the right decisions. Someone has to speak up for the children and help. I remember growing up and my friend's parents would smoke in the car. I would cough and couldn't handle it. They would say that it was going out the window and shouldn't bother me, but I just can't handle the smoke. This is one time I think its ok for the government to step in.. not to mess with civil liberties, but to protect the children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN