Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is BREAST really BEST???

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 142 Replies

That is the question I am asking all you moms out there, is breast really all that it cracks up to be.

We have 2 kids (3 y/o daughter, and a 9 month old son). With my daughter I did not breast feed, I bottle fed her, and besides a few colds here and there she never really ended up sick at all.

Now onto my son, I breast fed him for the first 4 months. The problems started with me, I ended up with SEVERE post partum (not the kind that would make me want to harm my kids) but the kind that made me really depressed. That is not where the problems ended. Our son ended up in the hospital with a bronchitis infection and severe ear infection. During this time he was diagnosed with severe exzema. The problems kept escilating from there, he ended up with problems with his eyes, and a low muscle tone, allergic to eggs, etc.

I ate really healthy with my son while I was breast feeding, I ate salads, chicken, fruits, vegtables, yougart, all the healthy foods you could imagine, I even lost about 20 pounds because I was eating healthy and besides the post partum, I felt great, my body that is.

My Husbands mom breast fed him as well, and he ended up nearly dying from a low oxygen level, and he had numerous problems as well.

One of my husbands aunts breast fed one of her daughters for 2 years, and her daughter ended up with asthma, exzema, allergic to eggs and other foods as well. Her other kids she did not breast feed as long and some not at all, and they had no allergies, no exzema, nothing.

So my question, is breast really best, or is more research needed to find out more about the risk/benefit factor, since there are more chemicals processed in food now a days, and yes even organic can have chemicals. 

I want your OPINIONS please!

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
10 moms liked this

I'm sorry that happened to your son. It wasn't caused by your breastmilk, though. If a doctor told you that, he was an idiot and an asshole.

I'm not sure what you mean by "risk/benefit factors" of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is normal. It is how babies are supposed to be fed. Doing a risk/benefit analysis on breastfeeding would be like doing a risk/benefit analysis on walking or breathing air. There are risk/benefit analyses of formula feeding, since it is a deviation from the norm.

If you don't want to breastfeed, then don't, but this post seems to be telling women who breastfeed (which is biologically normal for mammals to do) that they are potentially harming their children, just because you and your mother-in-law each had a child with health issues that would have existed with or without that factor. If your son or your husband had been formula fed, you and your mother-in-law would blame the formula.

Annie_21
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Yes breast feeding is nautral, and for some it could be (possibly) harming children. I think that more research is needed on the benifits of breast feeding, to see if it really is as benificial as some make it out to be. I am not telling anyone they are wrong for breast feeding or anything, but is it really that good for the child?

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM
6 moms liked this

I think you are trolling. That is a most ridiculous claim to make, and you have nothing but two anecdotes upon which to base your hypothesis.

If you are harming your children through breastfeeding them, you would have harmed them during gestation. Yet you have another child, who is perfectly healthy.

Quoting Annie_21:

Yes breast feeding is nautral, and for some it could be (possibly) harming children. I think that more research is needed on the benifits of breast feeding, to see if it really is as benificial as some make it out to be. I am not telling anyone they are wrong for breast feeding or anything, but is it really that good for the child?

Sister_Someone
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
3 moms liked this

For me, the best way is the way that works. Breastfeeding didn't, formula did.

I tried breastfeeding, and I absolutely hated it. It hurt, it was uncomfortable, and doing it made me miserable. My days consisted of me wanting to rip my hair out while feeding my son, me dreading the moment I'll have to feed him again, and other people trying to convice me it's PPD and that I need help. That's not the way it's supposed to be. I shouldn't dread feeding my baby. I lasted about a week, a couple days give or take, before I decided to be done with that shit and went out to buy formula. Best decision I ever made.

As I said, the best way for me is the one that works. If that means that my best is someone else's inferior, I'm completely okay with that.

Annie_21
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM

did you not realize that I added the word POSSIBLY, POSSIBLY!! And no I am not trolling, I want real opinions of what people really think, is that illegal now?

Quoting illogicalkat:

I think you are trolling. That is a most ridiculous claim to make, and you have nothing but two anecdotes upon which to base your hypothesis.

If you are harming your children through breastfeeding them, you would have harmed them during gestation. Yet you have another child, who is perfectly healthy.

Quoting Annie_21:

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

personally, I don't believe breastmilk is best. its good. but I don't believe that its necessarily better then formula. I think formula is just as good. I don't think it makes kids healthier or anything. I have seen kids that were formula fed who are way healthier than those who were breastfed. so I don't believe all those claims and that that breastmilk is superior to formula. both are just as good. my person opinion anyways.

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I know what you typed. You asked for real opinions, I gave you mine.

My opinion is that you are trolling and looking for validation of your choice to feed substitute food to your children.

Quoting Annie_21:

did you not realize that I added the word POSSIBLY, POSSIBLY!! And no I am not trolling, I want real opinions of what people really think, is that illegal now?

Quoting illogicalkat:

Quoting Annie_21:

gsmom9
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

i was wondering the same thing. i tryed to breastfeed without success, so i went to formula. about 8 of my freinds did breastfeed and were religious about it, and their kids seem to be down with one illness after another. some requiring emergency room visits. this confused me as it was drilled into my head that breastfeeding was supposed to greatly reduce this from happening. except for a few bugs once a year my ds is pretty healthy

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My formula fed baby ended up with chronic ear infections and had tubes before her first birthday, lots of colds, food isues, allergies, eczema, adhd, etc. 

My breastfed baby has been sick twice in her 15 months and does get eczema sometimes but nothing close to what my first had!  And, I found one of her triggers--fish. 

MayhemMatriarch
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, breast is absolutely the best. It may not always be what works for a person, but I have yet to see a case where it's GENUINELY the least healthy option for a baby. I'm sure there's something out there, but I don't know of it. Formula is in no way "as good as" breastmilk, biologically. {And I have used formula, in fact my third child was formula fed from 6 months on.}

I do think that there are exceptions to some of the "rules" which people fail to realize and then take too far in both camps.

★★Wife to Christian & Mom of FIVE★★
Samara Elise Alexandrea 12.31.2003
 Caesar Noel 08.29.2006
Mercutio Anthony 05.05.2008 Severus Danger 10.10.2010
Thaddeus Noir 05.08.2013 Yorick Fable forever in our hearts 08.02.2012
LOVE IS MAYHEM: Chronicles of our life as a family of A LOT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured