Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Co-Sleeping, Thoughts????

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM
  • 48 Replies

I did this for a while when our son was first born in Feburary, I would give him skin to skin all the time, and we would sleep together, but I want to know if anyone out there else has done this?

I heard it was unsafe in some studies, others praise it. What do you think about it?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

It is unsafe if you're bottle feeding, obese, under the influence of drugs/alcohol/medication, a smoker, using loose/fluffy bedding, or suffering from a sleep disorder. You should never sleep with your baby on a couch or in a recliner.

We bed share from birth. I'm not American, and this is a handout I was given in the hospital after each of my children were born.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
We have co sleeping deaths all the time here. All could be prevented if in a cradle or crib. Senseless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annie_21
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I only did it when he was first born cause this was the only way he would sleep, but I wouldnt really sleep, every move he made I would get right up, and I would be more awake then sleeping...

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My son would only sleep skin to skin the first two years. I'm hyper aware of the fact that I'm sleeping with someone or in some cases, my cat. I can keep them safe and get better sleep that way but some can't and shouldn't try it.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Cosleeping is completely safe of done correctly.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
4 moms liked this
There's also many babies who died in cribs that could have been saved by sleeping with mom.

Quoting atlmom2:

We have co sleeping deaths all the time here. All could be prevented if in a cradle or crib. Senseless.
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM
We co slept when he was a newborn and then when he could roll we bed shared. He has been in his own bed for a year now he turns five this week. We will do the same with the new baby.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM
It is a roll of the dice.

Quoting Retrokitty:

There's also many babies who died in cribs that could have been saved by sleeping with mom.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Micah09
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I co slept for 5 months mostly because it was easier for nursing at night and then they need to learn to sleep alone. As much as I love cuddling they need to be independent and learn to sleep in their own bed. My SIL still co sleeps with her 2+ year old and the kid is incapable of sleepin alone! Drives me nuts!
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM
4 moms liked this
Only in North America do kids need to. "Learn" to sleep in their own bed. In japan it's considered cruel for kids under 4 to sleep alone. Aswell as many other countries .

Quoting Micah09:

I co slept for 5 months mostly because it was easier for nursing at night and then they need to learn to sleep alone. As much as I love cuddling they need to be independent and learn to sleep in their own bed. My SIL still co sleeps with her 2+ year old and the kid is incapable of sleepin alone! Drives me nuts!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)