Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What does my nephew need to know before going to kinder?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 27 Replies

My sis refuses to let him go to pre-k. He is 4 but will 5 when he goes to kinder. He knows up to j in the alphabet but cannot identify them. He knows how to count up to 10 but gets mixed up sometimes and cannot identify them. He knows some of his colors and the ones that he knows he can identify. He can hold a pencil but not scissors. He knows his full name and address. Would he be ready? She says that she called (which I doubt because she says stuff like that a lot and when I ask people if she asked they usually say no. She just goes along with what her boyfriend tells her and says that someone else told her) What else should he know before kinder? 

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Look up his school districts website or go to local library...They will have the kindergarten checklist.   We had students that did not even speak english in dd's kinder class and by end of year they were right with their peers.

ElizabethGracie
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

He needs to go to PreK.

CafeMom Tickers

Mama to Anthony Alexander-11/11/11,Anatoly William-6/21/13,Waylon Paul-6/21/13 and expecting Baby #4 on 4/22/14!

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Wow... My son knew the alphabet, how to count to 50, could read basic words, could do some basic math. but was starting to sound out more word when reading, a more advanced reading skill, he read with expression, also an advanced skill. He Could write the full alphabet, and few basic words, including his full name. Knew all colors, could grip pencil, didnt have great scissor skills, and his coloring was terrible, but he doesnt like it... So he was definitely delayed there. Knew rules of school, waiting turns, raising hands, circle time. And started school at 4, only turned 5 in late sept. why doesn't she want to send him to prek? It certainly couldnt hurt him.. I kind of think he is behind... 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this

There isn't anything he HAS to know as pre-k isn't a requirement so they will work with him wherever he is.  With that being said, it definitely does not hurt to continue to work with him between now and next fall so that he is better caught up with the kids who did do pre-k.  Working on at least saying the whole alphabet, all the colors, counting to 20 if possible, writing his first name and basic shapes would be a good place to start. 

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

He needs to go to PreK.

No child NEEDS PreK

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I would put him in pre-k put there aren't requirements before kindergarten
ravenseeyore
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

If possible he should know and recognize his numbers up to at least 20 or higher, alphabet a-z, basic colors and shapes.  Should be able to hold and use a child size pair of safety scissors.  It's good that he know his name and address, does he know the phone number?    Some schools will say that he should be able to write these.

The best way to find out for sure is to call the school he will go to and ask. I have no idea on how you can tell her, but if you spend anytime with him one on one maybe you can start helping him.

butzi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

This is kind of a nasty way to be... she already understands that the boy is going to be behind this, but you took the opportunity to say look at how advanced mine is... not really very nice. One of my kids was quite a bit farther behind where the others were when he started kindergarten. He was the only one who could not read before kind. started and my husband was really worried. I told him to relax and just understand that all children are different... in just a couple of months he had caught up and passed the others by the end of the year he was just fine He is a senior in high school now and is doing really well.

Your sister does need to know that if she doesn't want to send him to pre-k that it is her responsibility to provide lots of interesting opportunities to open his little mind to learning. He can't spend his time watching TV he needs to be cooking doing art, and spending his time in creative play... if she doesn't want to provide those opportunities then she might want to look for at least a couple of mornings a week where he can get some of these things. Good luck. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Wow... My son knew the alphabet, how to count to 50, could read basic words, could do some basic math. but was starting to sound out more word when reading, a more advanced reading skill, he read with expression, also an advanced skill. He Could write the full alphabet, and few basic words, including his full name. Knew all colors, could grip pencil, didnt have great scissor skills, and his coloring was terrible, but he doesnt like it... So he was definitely delayed there. Knew rules of school, waiting turns, raising hands, circle time. And started school at 4, only turned 5 in late sept. why doesn't she want to send him to prek? It certainly couldnt hurt him.. I kind of think he is behind... 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I was being honest. If you think my honesty was nasty then i apologize. 

I thought I pointed out that he was advanced in some areas, and delayed in others, and on the young side.

This was a few years ago. He is in 2nd grade now. My son was and is not even close to the smartest in his class. I think the point I was trying to make was that reality is that some kids will be at the front, some in the back...and that her sister should consider preschool.

. And yes, I agree kindergarten does not give a be all end all to where kids end up. The importance of education and support from parents does. Glad your son is doing well.  

Quoting butzi:

This is kind of a nasty way to be... she already understands that the boy is going to be behind this, but you took the opportunity to say look at how advanced mine is... not really very nice. One of my kids was quite a bit farther behind where the others were when he started kindergarten. He was the only one who could not read before kind. started and my husband was really worried. I told him to relax and just understand that all children are different... in just a couple of months he had caught up and passed the others by the end of the year he was just fine He is a senior in high school now and is doing really well.

Your sister does need to know that if she doesn't want to send him to pre-k that it is her responsibility to provide lots of interesting opportunities to open his little mind to learning. He can't spend his time watching TV he needs to be cooking doing art, and spending his time in creative play... if she doesn't want to provide those opportunities then she might want to look for at least a couple of mornings a week where he can get some of these things. Good luck. 

Quoting SamMom912:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Count to at least 50, better yet 100. Recognize all letters. Starting to write all letters. Spelling first name. Writing first name. This is for kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)