Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How long is your child going to be in a booster? Would they make it until 12?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

Safety Experts Say Kids Should Be in Booster Seats Until They're 12! (That Is Not a Typo)

by Jeanne Sager

seat beltWhen I find out who heads up the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, I may have to kiss him (or her!) on the mouth. The folks who deal with all things safe in the car have come out with a suggestion that many kids should remain in a booster seat until -- get this -- 12 years old!

And to that I say thank you! It's about time somebody said it!

Not so happy? Maybe you're one of those parents who just couldn't wait to get their kid out of a booster seat?

I feel you; I really do. They are a pain in the tuchas, especially when your kid is legally old enough to be sitting in the regular car seat. Unfortunately, what the state says is OK isn't always the safest thing for kids.

More From The Stir: Putting Your Child in a Booster Seat Too Soon Could Have Tragic Consequences

In my state, my 8-year-old is legally approved for a regular adult safety belt. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Association reserves the car's regular seat belts for "children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday." Guess what? My 8-year-old is nowhere near 4 feet 9 inches.

Going booster-less is legal for my kid. But it isn't necessarily safe, and moms like me face a stigma when we keep our kids in the seats.

There are judgy moms and grandparents who look at us like we're over-bearing and over-cautious. Then there are the bratty little snots who come up with gems like "My mom says I don't have to sit in a booster seat anymore. You must be a little baby!" and make you want to kick them out of the carpool.

We're treated like WE'RE the problem.

But we're not.

The problem is bad information.

A kid doesn't magically age out of a booster at age 8. It turns out car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. But the IIHS reports that kids in boosters -- the data is of kids ages 4 to 8 because those are the ages of most kids currently using them -- are 45-percent less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash.

Keep kids in boosters longer, and we could keep more kids alive.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

How long is your child going to be in a booster? Would they make it until 12?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KBS-mom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I kept DD rear facing until 2 and she stayed in a 5 point harness until 6. I plan on keeping her as safe as possible and if that means a booster until 12, so be it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Christy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM
They probably will be 12. Both my kids are small. DS is 10 years old 54lbs and 53in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof697
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
3 moms liked this

In my state my 8 yr old is safe to be out of it. My state goes by three requirements age (8) height 4'9" and weight 80 pounds.  

So what about short adults My MIL is barely 4'9" barely what if she was only 4 8 would she need a booster and to ride in the back seat?  

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd 20 could be in a booster. She hasn't since age 3 because that was the law then. She is 4 ft 10 and 92lbs. She would have been in one by law till 14 or 15. Can you imagine the torment??? No way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
There has to be an age cut off. I just posted about my short tiny dd.

Quoting Momof697:

In my state my 8 yr old is safe to be out of it. My state goes by three requirements age (8) height 4'9" and weight 80 pounds.  

So what about short adults My MIL is barely 4'9" barely what if she was only 4 8 would she need a booster and to ride in the back seat?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
draven3107
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My oldest at 12 was 6 ft even and 130 lbs. My next oldest is now 11, he is 5'7" and 155 . Not sure about my other children Dd is 9 and 5'2" and 80 lbs.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I doubt I will every have to deal with this. I was 6'2 at 13. All my kids are 97 plus for height but they won't leave a seat until they fit no matter their other stats
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Interesting.  My 11+ yo son just this weekend finally measured big enough to sit in our car without a booster.   He can sit to the back of the seat, bend his legs at the edge of the seat and touch the floor flat footed. 

Our daughter was about the same age when she was able to cast aside her booster.

Our third child joked this morning that he is hoping to make it before age 10.  (He is 8 right now).

GleekingOut
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Mine was out of the booster by 5. Different laws back then. My 10yo is too tall for a booster and the laws allowed for my 8yos to be out of theirs at 6. I can't imagine trying to put them back in. I can imagine a 2hr struggle to get them just to school and back.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
It's about bone density and less about height and weight.

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd 20 could be in a booster. She hasn't since age 3 because that was the law then. She is 4 ft 10 and 92lbs. She would have been in one by law till 14 or 15. Can you imagine the torment??? No way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN