Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birth control

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have tried many different forms of birth control, and I haven't found one I like yet. I've tried condoms, several different pills, the shot, and iud. I currently have the copper iud, it's very convenient, but its made my periods heavier, and im sorry if this is tmi, but I swear sometimes I have an odor coming from down there, that smells like copper. Anyone else have these side effects? Are you happy with your current form of birth control?
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I never had an IUD. I was on the pill and then had my tubes tied after I had my 2nd child. But if you're concerned about the symptoms you're experiencing, please speak with your doctor. He or she will be better able to tell you whether this is normal with the IUD you have or if something else is going on. Maybe there's another IUD that would work better for you than the one you're currently on?

kay283
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Thank-you :) I've actually been thinking about having my tubes tied. Is it ok if I ask how that was? Was it a painful recovery? Does it affect your periods or your hormones? Any side effects or regrets? Do you recommend it?

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I never had an IUD. I was on the pill and then had my tubes tied after I had my 2nd child. But if you're concerned about the symptoms you're experiencing, please speak with your doctor. He or she will be better able to tell you whether this is normal with the IUD you have or if something else is going on. Maybe there's another IUD that would work better for you than the one you're currently on?

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I use a Lady-Comp, which is a computer that tracks your cycle. It is more reliable than the pill, when used correctly.

I have no experience with iud's.

kay283
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Thank-you! I've never heard of it before. Googling it now. :)

Quoting ceciliam:

I use a Lady-Comp, which is a computer that tracks your cycle. It is more reliable than the pill, when used correctly.

I have no experience with iud's.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I don't know much about iud'sbut I would definitely talk to your doctor about the symptoms to make sure all is okay.  As for what we use I use Natural Family Planning with is just as effective as the other forms and is non-hormonal and so much better for a person's body.  If you want to know more I would be happy to share.

kay283
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Thank-you! I think I will look into a hormone free option like natural family planning. Im considering having my tubes tied, but im single now, I only have one child, im only 30, and I have no idea what the future has in store, so im hesitant to do anything permanent. Im trying to stay single and focus on my son and myself. But I would like to learn how to do natural family planning, so that when im in my next relationship, I will know what to do.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I don't know much about iud'sbut I would definitely talk to your doctor about the symptoms to make sure all is okay.  As for what we use I use Natural Family Planning with is just as effective as the other forms and is non-hormonal and so much better for a person's body.  If you want to know more I would be happy to share.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I will pm you the information I have on it as it is really long to post in a reply here. 

Quoting kay283:

Thank-you! I think I will look into a hormone free option like natural family planning. Im considering having my tubes tied, but im single now, I only have one child, im only 30, and I have no idea what the future has in store, so im hesitant to do anything permanent. Im trying to stay single and focus on my son and myself. But I would like to learn how to do natural family planning, so that when im in my next relationship, I will know what to do.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I used the pill for 25 years. No issues. No oops kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I use Mirena IUD.  I used to have heavy periods but not anymore with the Mirena.  I have been on Mirena for 4.5 years and love it.  This IUD is plastic with no odor.

kay283
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Thank-you. Did you have any side effects at all from the hormones?

Quoting emarin77:

I use Mirena IUD.  I used to have heavy periods but not anymore with the Mirena.  I have been on Mirena for 4.5 years and love it.  This IUD is plastic with no odor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured